Chad-K

Sun plants for hanging baskets?

I like making up my own hanging baskets. I've always just grown petunias, but I want to try some different plants. My front yard recieves sun from sunrise to about 4pm or even later! I need sun loving plants. Any recommendations?

I'm gonna try to grow some nasturtium in a hanging basket this year.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey Chad! Haven't talked to you in a while.
Nasturtiums would be good in full sun. One that I have alot of success with, although it is deep purple foliage with no flower is Purple Knight Altermanthera.
Bacopa "sutura cordata", a creeping green finely leafed plant with either white or blue flowers, does very well in the sun, as does licorice plant, "helichrysum petiolare minus", a silver leaved bushy hanging plant.
Butterfly Daisy "Argyranthemum frutescens is a bushy hanging plant with yellow daisy like blooms.
Lanai Verbena "verbena x hybrida" is a hanging plant that has flowers in several colors, pink, red, purple, white.
Sweet Potato Vine "Ipomoea batatas" is a vigourous vine that is chartreuse in color, with no bloom. Very sharp contrasting with other plants.
Of course there is always Allysum, which I find the Easter Basket to be the best for hanging baskets. It has a more hanging habit, and comes in several colors.
There is also coleus, which gives very high contrast for foliage.
And then of course there is always geranium and snapdragons.

I have used all of these in my pots in full sun, so can honestly say they work. Hope this gives you a few ideas. :wink:

Val

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”