halliekat
Newly Registered

Starting Over with Pothos

I was at my aunt's house last week and saw this sad, almost completely dead Pothos plant with only a few stems of green left on it. It has about 5 stems, all super spindly and with no leaves, except 1-3 on the ends.

Upon further discussion with my aunt, she said a very good friend who had died had given it to her, and she didn't know what to do with it but couldn't throw it away. Seeing it had some green left, I figured I'd bring it home and see what I could do with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can bring this poor thing back to life? If I cut it back close to the roots and restart it, is it likely to regrow?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hallie

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Pothos are quite hardy; probably the toughest of the common houseplants.

To restart this plant, cut the stems about 4" from the leaves. Put stems in water to root. Once you see roots, plant into a small pot and place in a bright (not direct sun) place in your home. You could also keep the original plant and once it is cut back, repot it and wait to see if it starts to get some new growth.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I like Juls tack; that should work nicely, but wait until you get some health back in the plant before taking cuttings; they'll do better...

HG

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Agreed with above. I would also get some fresh dirt and repot. For this I use Shultz or Miracle Grow (not pushing brands per se) potting mix. Repot, keep in medium light, don't over water. A window without direct sun is a good place. You could get a cutting from 1 or 2 stems and water root them. See where things go from there.

Show us pics in a couple of months!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”