NewbieGardener
Newly Registered

Jiffy Pots?

Alright.... I have planted some seeds (basil, thyme, oregano, some flowers, cucumbers) in one of those Jiffy Pot Greenhouses...

My question is... how long can they stay in those little mesh dirt jiffy pot things?

I have bought a whole bunch of 4" clay pots... should I transfer my jiffy pots into them before planting outside (will be planting outside in about 5 weeks)... and if I should put them in the clay pots... how long should they be in the jiffy pots before I move them to the clay pots?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You should leave them in their mesh bags until either they have their second sets of leaves, or there are roots showing. It depends on the plant. Sometimes the top is faster than the bottom, sometimes the bottom faster than the top. When you do plant them, cut the mesh around them in a couple of spots, without damaging the roots. These are made of plastic, and if they are not split, tend to prevent the plant roots from reaching out further.
Hope that answers your question! :wink:

Val

NewbieGardener
Newly Registered

It does help! BUT what exactly do you mean by second set of leaves?

Like, my cucumbers are getting really tall! Should I cut it back? I'm lost! :)

Do I clip my basil? They are still just tiny but really bushy (I think I put too many seeds in each jiffy pot) Same with my oregano and thyme!

Grey
Greener Thumb

The second set is also known as "true leaves" - the first set are the baby set - just two little leaves, that at this stage are hard to tell one kind of plant from another. The true leaves should come next, these will have the distinctive shape of the plant.

Don't cut your cukes back. More than likely those are ready for a bigger pot.

Your herbs - you may need to thin them out, or if they are big enough, go ahead and divide them to the number of plants you actually want to have. Since I never have the heart to thin mine & just toss the runts out, I wind up with many more plants than I had initially planned space for... which become really nice neighborly presents!

NewbieGardener
Newly Registered

Alright... I just put my cukes and some nasturtium in 4" clay pots.... will they be good in those pots until middle May when I plant them in my garden? Is there anything special I need to do with them?

Grey
Greener Thumb

They might be okay... but cukes can grow pretty fast!

NewbieGardener
Newly Registered

so what do you suggest I do? Or do you just think I planted the seeds to early and there is nothing that can be done??

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, I did the SAME THING with my zucchini... I knew they grew fast and had them in 5" pots and will be putting them into the garden next week. As fast as these suckers grow - you *might* be okay, or you might be like me: looking at that little pot and calling yourself all kinds of names like "ninny" (I call me that, because I have grown zucchini and squashes before and I KNOW they grow really fast!).

Anyway: as fast as they grow, you can probably call these an experiment to see if they make it, and if not, well, they grow so fast you can start over and be okay. In fact, 2 weeks before you plant, you could start more just to be on the safe side. Your set may just make it just fine - if I have learned one thing as a gardener, it's that many plants are forgiving.

NewbieGardener
Newly Registered

Alrighty... we'll see how it goes! I also have some flowers that are growing pretty fast (Black Eyed Susans, Nasturtiun, statice) they all say plant indoors 6 weeks before transferring outside.... so hopefully they will be okay!

If not, I will be off to get all my plants at the Garden Center in the middle of May... oh well... live and learn... atleast I have these little greenhouses and a WHOLE bunch of clay and plastic 4" pots for next year!

Grey
Greener Thumb

That's the spirit - but I think your plants will be just fine, and we all have to start somewhere. We gardeners never stop learning, there's always a plant that's an exeption to a rule somewhere!

I personally find greater satisfaction in growing the plants I started from seed than the ones I've gotten from a nursery.

NewbieGardener
Newly Registered

Now that they are in their 4" pots.... how often should I water them?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”