earth

Tip of Peace lilly leaves turning brown/yellow

Hi,
my peace lilly is growing well...had 3-4 new leaves recently but the only problem is the tip of the leaves turn brown and yellow. It is kept indoors near my window & receives good amount of light, I water it once a week..its not root bound yet - when I bought it at Lowes I was told that I do not need to repot it for another 6 months- the guy even checked the roots for me-it has been around 2 - 21/2months since I bought it!
Help!!
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2614/3884225835_ee373f3d8b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3885022112_faf0095eba.jpg[/img]

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Generally, brown tipped leaves are caused by irregular watering. I am guilty of watering inconsistently and experience brown tipped leaves. :oops:

We all get busy and forget. :roll: If the plant is happy aside from that, I think you are doing great with it! :D

ps Consider repotting only when the roots begin to peek out through the drainage holes. :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Peace Lilies also exhibit a sensitivity to chlorine in the water, and leaf tips and edges will turn brown in response. If your water supply is heavily chlorinated, leave a container of water sit out on the countertop overnight. Most of the chlorine will dissipate. Use that water for your Peace Lily. :)

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Kisal, I didn't know that about chlorine in the water. Our water is heavily chlorinated; this too could be the reason why I get brown tips.

Hmmmm, good to know. :o

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Plants like dracaenas and other tropicals will get brown tips if the humidity is to low.

earth

thanks, I do water them regularly but I have recently noticed that the water runs through the pot the moment I water the plant....this never happened earlier...so last time I filled in water in a bucked & dipped the pot for some time to soak in water. The roots are still not peeping out of the drainage hole so I guess it is still not root bound...it is still in 4inches pot. I will also try the chlorine water tip you have given. I think humidity is not low indoor here but I will try to sprinkle some water daily on the leaves from now on.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You could safely repot it, I think. It looks like it could handle a 6" pot.

One of the reasons I generally advise people to be careful of repotting plants too soon is that most plants prefer somewhat drier soil. But Peace Lilies do like extra moisture, so having a little extra soil around the roots normally doesn't lead to root rot for them ... unless carried to extremes, of course. :)

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Earth,

Kisal is right; you can safely repot. Measure your current pot and go just 1 size larger. For example, if it is a 6" go to an 8"; measure across the top of the pot.

Happy planting. :D

earth

thanks... will buy a new pot this weekend..hopefully re-potting will make my peace lilly happy :-)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”