jolagirl14
Newly Registered

Hibiscus problems?

My two new hibiscus plants have brown spots that often begin in the inner leaf area and the leaves then become mottled with yellow and fall off. The plants had many flower buds when they first came home but after a few days of prolific blooming the buds started to fall off in the early stages without ever opening up. I found them all over the floor. The stems that hold the affected leaves seem to weaken as well. I transplanted both plants the week they came home which I was hesitant to do but had to because the cheap plastic pots they came in were cracked. They do not receive direct sunlight but they get a lot of light. I have pruned off affected areas but I am worried that the healthy areas will die off. There is no evidence of pests that I can see and they are indoor plants. Any help? Thanks.

earth

I had a similar problem.... check my hibiscus post & u will see photos of my hibiscus leaves with spots.....even the buds of my hibiscus were falling off. I cut off the top part of the plant removed all the spotted leaves and started keeping it in sun.... I fist kept it for just half an hour in filtered sun then slowly increased to 1 hour and now have started keeping it in direct sun for 2 hours a day. The plant has new leaves but it is early for me to say if this worked as the leaves are still too small.... but I somehow feel it is working! check the new growth on my hibiscus:
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2569/3937627959_dd2d8cac2c.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are sure there are no insects (thrips sometimes cause bud drop in hibiscus by girdling the base of the bud) the bud drop is a sign of stress in the plant.

Two thoughts about what might be stressing it: Be sure you are not over watering. Hibiscus hates "wet feet" and likes a very well draining soil with some perlite, vermiculite or sand added to promote drainage. Water from the top not the bottom, don't let any water stand in the saucer and let the top dry out just a little before you water again.

And it sounds like it may not be getting enough light. If you can't put it in a location with some direct light (preferably at least 6 hrs a day), try adding some artificial light. For when I bring my house plants in for the winter, I have a tall floor lamp with a bunch of separate lights on flexible goosenecks that I can position to put light directly on plants that need it. It really helps some things get through our short daylight, grey winters.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”