Marge
Cool Member

sunflowers in pots?

I know it is a bit early to be thinking of this, but can you grow sunflowers in pots? (In Yorkshire!)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sunflowers in pots? Now that is an interesting idea. Well, technically speaking you can grow most plants in pots. But, I would be careful which sunflower that you are growing. You would probably want to choose a sunflower that doesn't grow to high. Names are escaping my recollect at this moment in time. But, just be a bit choosy about what you plant.

As usual, give them some good soil with lots of nutrients.

And I don't know what the climate is like in Yorkshire so, I can't comment on that.

Marge
Cool Member

oh it's sunny and hot all the time :wink: :lol:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, with that heat, you are going to want to keep an eye on the soil as pots tend to go dry sooner than garden soil. Just keep your plant well watered and maybe a weekly dose of organic fertilizer as with all the watering nutrients tend to leach from pot soils.

thisbattymom

My girl grew some sunflowers in pots last yr. I have no idea what variety they were, they came from her pet's seed. They were about 2 ft tall and very thin and weak. The flowers were only maybe 3 inches across and barely produced any seeds... but they were pretty and she was very proud of herself. :lol:
I have seen sunflower seed starter kits at the store that are intended for pots though. Maybe if you got one of those types you would do well? I am going to let her grow more like that this yr and see if they don't create prettier plants.
Best wishes! :D

Marge
Cool Member

opabinia51 wrote:Hmmm, with that heat, you are going to want to keep an eye on the soil as pots tend to go dry sooner than garden soil. Just keep your plant well watered and maybe a weekly dose of organic fertilizer as with all the watering nutrients tend to leach from pot soils.
My apologies, I was being sarcastic.:oops: Here in Yorkshire we do get a summer, but it doesn't last long. At the moment is it all grey, rainy and cold!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”