Briarwoods

Summer Squash in pots??

Hi everyone : )

I went a little nutty a little early this year and now have several squash plants in 16 oz. cups in my window sill. Needless to say, they are 8-9 inches tall and I still wont be able to plant them outside for a few weeks so I figured I'd put them in big enough pots. Can anyone tell me what a big enough pot would be? 5 gallons? Any idea what the measurements would be for 5 gallons?

thisbattymom

I have a similar situation, except I won't be transplanting them into the earth. I have several pole beans sprouting that I hope to have grow on my deck trellis. I have NO idea how big of a pot to use but it has to survive in minimal space so I expect to transplant as I notice changes in it's growth/roots.

Good luck and I hope someone has a good idea for you!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Are you wanting to grow the plants in pots? Eventually, the plants roots will take up the entire area of the pots that you have them in and then, the top foliage should curtail it's excessive growth. Nurseries leave the zuchinni in the little pots all season long and once they get to a certain size, they pretty much stay that size.

But yes, 5 gallons should be large enough. Though, if you plant them in something that big, it will be really difficult to transplant them.

Briarwoods

The cups I have them in now is not curtailing the size. I think I have bionic squash! :wink:

Maybe I should then just transplant them in something larger for now until I can get them in the garden? I was thinking all that transplanting would hurt them...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I don't think so, at The Garden Path (a local organic nursery) they routinely pot up all sorts of plants with no ill effects. Though, I wouldn't pot them up more than one time. To much handling tends to lead to damage of the plant. (physical damage)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”