Sam UK
Newly Registered

Hawaiian Palm

Can anybody help my Hawaiian palm! Had it four weeks and it's leaves are all dying. They have turned all mottled and yellow. I've followed all the instructions I can find. I think it may be pot bound but am worried as to what to repot it in as I understand it is actually a succulent, can anybody help please!!!!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sam, the problem I've run into is that, when I search for information about Hawaiian Palm Tree, I find that many different species of palms grow in Hawaii. As far as I've been able to determine, there isn't one specific tree called the Hawaiian Palm. It would be helpful if you could tell us the Latin name of your palm.

If you don't know the Latin name, perhaps you could post a picture of the plant here. Someone might recognize it, or at least, we would then be able to match it to pictures we find online and in reference books.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sam, I've found your plant. I believe it is Brighamia insignis and hawaiian vulcan palm. Sorry, but I kept looking for trees! :(

Anyway, your plant is indeed a succulent. Treat it like a cactus or like, say, an aloe. Use a standard commercial potting mix designed for cacti and succulents. You can, of course, make your own potting mixture, but unless you have need of fairly large quantities of the mix, it will probably be simpler to buy a bag of the commercial stuff. Whatever you use, you want it sandy, gritty and gravelly, with little organic content. In other words, no peat moss. Also, no soil from your garden. It must be a very fast-draining mix.

IMO, people are often too anxious to repot cacti and succulents. They often do better if slightly pot bound. Too much soil around the roots of such plants often contributes to root rot.

Your palm will want watering about once a week. When you water, drench it thoroughly, don't skimp. Allow all excess water to drain away. Never leave the pot sitting in a saucer that contains water. Make sure it has high humidity around it's leaves. That's more important to the plant than water on it's roots. :)

The above is pretty much good basic care for any succulent or cactus. This link is to a page dedicated to the Hawaiian palm plant:

https://houseplantz.net/brighamia-insignis-hawaiian-vulcan-palm/

HTH! :)

Sam UK
Newly Registered

It is the Vulcan Palm! Thank you, this has been really helpful! I feel though that it might be to late for my poor little palm!! He is very unwell and has lost nearly all his leaves now! With the plant almost extinct I feel I have to do everything to keep this one alive!! :lol: I'll keep you posted on how it is doing but thank you once again.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

great detective work, Kisal! and a nice article you found.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”