synecdoche
Newly Registered

Tips for Calandiva?

a week ago I got a beautiful calandiva plant. I was attracted by its profuse flowers. I thought I would do well with it, since I seemed to have very good luck with kalancho... but I think something is wrong. Some of the flower stalks seem very droopy and are falling off. Also, some of the leaves are developing brown spots on the edges. I tried both keeping it out in full sun and indoors, to no avail. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Could you post a picture of it? It's hard to know what might be going on, just from a verbal description. Many different situations can cause leaves to brown. [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url].

It's possible that the leaves were burned, if you put it outdoors in direct sunlight. When a plant that has been kept indoors, as yours was before you bought it, is moved outdoors, it needs first to be put in a shaded area. It can be moved into stronger, more direct sun a little bit at a time, over a period of a couple of weeks. I think Calandiva actually prefer filtered light, though, so placing it in direct sun might have been too much for it.

This article from the University of Arkansas Extension Service offers some information about the general care of Calandiva, which as you already know, are a variety of Kalanchoe. :)

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

figured instead of opening a new forum I would continue on this one for my own Calandiva concerns. Though I have done a large amount of research on these plants I'm still baffled as to its habits.

It seems to be unclear if they are indoor or outdoor plants... and some sites I read say they need direct sun... yet others will say that they need to be indoors with bright light only in like a south facing window or something.

I LOVE these plants I really really do with just one tiny exception. I've been told that they bloom once and then die... ? This seems so very strange for a plant..I'm pretty sure its not considered an annual ... so why does it die? I finally found the color and variety of Calandiva that I've been waiting for since last winter and missed out on due to second guessing myself and not putting the only one left in my cart ... returning to get it I found that it was sadly gone.. someone had come up right behind me and snagged it for themselves.. ( I'll never do that again lol anything I'm even "thinking" of getting will go in my cart from now on!! lmfao! ) In fact I almost missed out on this one as well as I picked it up and a lady came right up behind me peering over at the plant.. LOL I'm positive if I had gotten there any later that lady would have taken it as it was the last one of its kind once again :lol:

Anyway Basically Now that I have this beauty of a Calandiva that I've been waiting so long for I now don't want it to die :cry: I want it to live on and on and on like a tree lol! Any info or suggestions on Calandiva? Care Tips perhaps? Ideas on how to make it live on and on and on? :wink: :wink:

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/P1010547.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/P1010544.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/P1010542.jpg[/img]

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:roll: Well I hope someone answers you that knows, because I have always thought they were beautiful too. But never bought one, because I didn't know how to care for it either??? HOPEFULLY someone will take pity on us, and let us know, how to care for them. Your's is very pretty by the way! Good thing you grabbed it this time!! :wink:

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thanks Green Mantis! :D

Since my last post my Calandiva has been doing "ok" but doesn't seem to be thriving as I'd like it to :(

the blooms seem to be drooping? O.o Here is a photo :(
I don't know what to do with them.. do I cut them off? What do I do? I want to do what is best for my plant :( :(

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/P1010593.jpg[/img]

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( That's not good! Wish somebody that has had these for a long time, would come on and help you out! Then I could find out too :?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Don't know if it will help much, but I did read they love lots of sun? Good Luck. :)

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I know its a revival but anyone who finds this thread and wants to know the answers:

Calandiva is technically a full-sun plant but will do really well indoors or in well-lit shade when in bloom. Usually it's nice to bring the plant inside to enjoy the blooms and they do just fine with this.

It should be planted in rich well-drained sandy loam and placed in a sunny to partly sunny location when not in bloom. This really depends on your weather; if it is very hot then rather don't give it such strong full-sun but in an area or a season with weak sunshine then full sun is better.

It should be watered infrequently and allowed to dry out slightly between watering. Over-watering will result in rotting.

As the flowers die cut them off to encourage new growth. Once the flowers end keep in a sunny location and feed with an all-round fertiliser. To encourage new blooms the Calandiva needs at least 12 hours of darkness but preferably 14-16 hours. You can simulate this if your days are not short enough by placing it in a dark cupboard overnight. Just remember to take the plant out. This needs to last for 6 weeks or until buds appear.

Remember any light will affect the flowring; we realised that even though our plants are outside in 14 hours of darkness, we do have a light on outside, which probably prevented the plants from flowering!

The plant will rebloom but after a few blooming seasons the plant will eventually be done. You can plant new Calandivas by cuttings from the original plant.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”