theo316
Newly Registered

Poinsettias

Hello all,
I hope I am posting my first post in the correct area.
Anyway, I recieved a Poinsettia for christmas (of course) and
it seems to be doing quite well still. I have since re-potted it and
again it seems to be doing quite well. However, the top to the middle
leaves look very strong and even showing new growth but, the bottom leaves seem/are very wilted.

Am I doing anything wrong?

any info would help.

Theo

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Is the root ball getting moistened thoroughly when you water? You might want to put the plant and its pot in a larger container that will hold water. Fill the larger container with enough water to just run over the rim of the pot the plant is in. Let it soak until you see no more bubbles ... usually that takes about 20 minutes to a half-hour. Then remove your poinsettia from the water and allow all the excess water to drain off.

That should perk up your plant and completely moisten the root ball. Standard watering methods should suffice afterward.

If you want your plant to flower next year, you have to give it some special care. It's been 40 years since I've rebloomed a poinsettia, but if I remember correctly, they need total darkness for a period of time, along with minimal watering. I seem to remember keeping mine in a closed cabinet out in my garage. I'd have to research it to give you accurate advice, though.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

They will loose there lower leafs during the summer. The reason being is there often forced into growth by nursuries, causing the to grow weak leafs. When they start to grow healthier leafs, the old ones fall off.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”