earth

do I use plastic liner with coconut liner?

hi,
I have bought Portulaca for my hanging basket, I got it as a good price:-)
After searching abt it, I found it loves sun & loves dry soil...roots die in excess water.
Now I have this coconut liner wire basket, I have read that it helps to put plastic(with holes) lining over that coconut liner to protect excess drying of soil....as there is excess evaporation due to coconut lining; also sometimes soil & water drop out of coconut basket (if it does it will fall into my neighbors patio below - I would hate that)

I am still wondering should I line the coconut liner with plastic - but hope that will not kill my plant roots OR should I just let the coconut line alone and just fill in soil - hope it does not upset my neighbor + doesn't make the soil excessively dry!
I am using STA green potting mix which has perilite.

(I plan to water bi-weekly-in zone 9 ; average temperature August 94F High /60F low & September 89F high/58 low)

[img]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xZzcZqjm-Oc/SoRYK3RLg-I/AAAAAAAAAHA/IZXlqvH0QBM/s320/DSCN5060.JPG[/img]

[img]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xZzcZqjm-Oc/SoRYPcuw4II/AAAAAAAAAHI/nJGh53SQ_k4/s320/DSCN5064.JPG[/img]

[img]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xZzcZqjm-Oc/SoST5OTdCTI/AAAAAAAAAIg/HWVI6TfXGZY/s320/DSCN5069.JPG[/img]

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Hi Earth,

For the past several years, I have used coconut liners in all my hanging baskets and have never used plastic lining. Using the plastic lining would be like having a pot with no drainage holes and you definitely want it to drain. The water will definitely go through the coconut liner so you may want to take it down to water so as not to irritate your neighbor below. But what about when it rains... :roll:

Actually, it is very kind and thoughtful of you to be considering your neighbor. So many people these days fail to be considerate.

Oh, another thought. If you plan to water more frequently with just a little bit at a time, the water may only drip out of the basket and not gush; so it may not disturb your neighbor. :wink:

Edit: I noticed you were planning to put holes in the plastic.... that may work but I think it would promote root rot due to lack of good drainage.

Diane
Green Thumb

Your plant is also called a moss rose. They love to grow in peat moss. How about putting a bowl or pot bottom just at the bottom of your basket to catch the extra water?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely skip the plastic liner; it will interfere with drainage and with air circulation, promote root rot.

applestar
Mod

I'm suspecting that at the temperatures you mentioned, you'd need to water at least every other day, if not every day or even twice a day. Does your potting mixture contain those water retaining polymer crystals? Well, maybe for portulaca, they ARE good about being dried out.

I really shouldn't even speak up - I'm terrible at container gardening, and I'm worse with hanging baskets. :roll: Mostly because they dry out -- even plastic ones -- so quickly. I've even killed portulaca by letting them dry out. :oops: I don't use the crystals actually, but do use 1/3 compost in the container's soil mix. I have a single plastic hanging basket that is doing well -- 2 kinds of scented geraniums and a variegated thyme. I've given up growing fuchsias in baskets and am growing them in containers on the ground. :roll: 2nd year doing this, and the mother plants as well as propagated offsprings are doing very well. Key for them has been direct contact with the usually moist soil in the shade garden.

earth

thanks for your replies.....it was such a help!
Will keep you posted how my new plant does in hanging basket.... I will water it more frequently than I planned to :-)
apple star the potting mix I am using is STA green...it has good water retention crystals...my plants seem to grow well using it...but why r potting mix so expensive :-( I paid around 8$ to fill in 3 pots... but I guess this is cheaper than buying Miracle grow potting mix.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I've got two hanging baskets with portulaca in them. No liner, just soil and the plants. Mine started smaller, but are getting your size. Doing wonderful I might add, and yes water avery 2-3 days. We're in the hundreds though, so I might water a little more. The soil will dry fast in coconut liners though.

earth

cool a0c8c, I planted mine today in coconut liner...hope it grows and makes my basket look beautiful :-)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”