cdlc92
Newly Registered

Cutting help?

Last year I took a piece of my mom's rubber plant and made a successful cutting. When she saw that it work, oh she just had to try for herself. She hacked the plant to pieces and killed it. Now I am trying to make some more cuttings and I am just not having any luck. I am trying to make cuttings from my grapefruit tree, and another tropical plant that I haven't been able to Identify and Japanese maple just for the heck of it. When I followed some internet directions they died almost instantly. I experimented a little the next time, and they lasted a little longer, but still died. How do I do this successfully again?

redback001

rubber plant (Ficus elastica) as well as most citrus are sucessfully propagated by air-layering; with the citrus this can be time consuming, while the ficus is much faster.
there is also less chance of damaging the plants if done correctly

GreenSuzq
Newly Registered

You have now idea how many plants I tried this with. My most precious is my step dad's Christmas cactus (from 1940's, his mother's). Every plant has it's own way to get cutting's from. I learned that from other plants I tried to keep from him and others.

Please, before you cut a plant up, check here or other places about when is the best time to cut it for propagation, or get seeds, etc. Every plant has it's own time and way to make more of them. :lol:

Just my own hobby experience. I never could grow anything until I moved to TN.

Now I love to see things grow. I understand where your coming from.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”