eculuke
Newly Registered

Question on Jiffy Peat Pods

I am new to gardening and decided to start a small container garden on my back deck which gets good sunlight. I also decided to try my hand at starting some seeds. I picked up the jiffy 72 pod kit. My question is, should I keep the micro greenhouse container inside where my temperature can very from 65-70, or move them outside to the shade where I'm sure temperatures can be much higher here in the NC summer. I am 24 hours into this and couldn't find anything online.
Thanks
Luke

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well unfortunately it's a little complicated, because there's more variables than temps. Light is an issue too. If you keep them inside, do you have plenty of light for them? Just putting them in a windowsill doesn't really get it. If you put them outside how hot is it? And of course it depends on what it is you are trying to grow. Some plants thrive in the heat and some don't.

Be careful with the micro greenhouse idea. Once the seeds are sprouted, you probably want to take the lid off, or at least prop it open some. It can easily get too damp in there, especially since the peat pots hold water a lot.

Starting this time of year, it's really just as easy to just plant your seeds in the containers outside.

eculuke
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Well unfortunately it's a little complicated, because there's more variables than temps. Light is an issue too. If you keep them inside, do you have plenty of light for them? Just putting them in a windowsill doesn't really get it. If you put them outside how hot is it? And of course it depends on what it is you are trying to grow. Some plants thrive in the heat and some don't.

Be careful with the micro greenhouse idea. Once the seeds are sprouted, you probably want to take the lid off, or at least prop it open some. It can easily get too damp in there, especially since the peat pots hold water a lot.

Starting this time of year, it's really just as easy to just plant your seeds in the containers outside.

I don't have a grow lamp or anything of that sort. It just so happens my Saltwater fish tank has 150watt metal halide. I could put it near there. It gets pretty hot here usually between 85-90 (outside). can they withstand that high of temp? I planted mostly peppers (different variety's. ), some cherry tomatoes and cilantro and basil.I noticed a lot of condensation on the greenhouse lid so I cracked it open slightly. Currently I have the two greeenhouses outside in a shady area of the back deck. I guess I'm worried that 90 degree summer temps might be too hot? My townhouse stays at about 68 on average. any help would be appreciated.

Luke

eculuke
Newly Registered

anybody?

Diane
Green Thumb

You can check out the vegetable garden forum. Many there live near you and are still planting veggies.
I'm in the NE and started my garden in May.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well this is why people usually start seeds in the spring, not the summer. It's difficult to get things started in the 90 degrees. But your metal halide probably throws off too much heat. You don't have to have fancy grow lights, regular fluorescents will do. But otherwise your seedlings are probably better off outdoors, especially if there's a place where they can get some indirect or filtered light or some morning sun for awhile with shade after that...

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”