plant butcher
Newly Registered

So how is everyone's harvest going?

Just as subject says.... How is everyone's harvest? I have managed to harvest plenty of zuchinni squash, however yellow squash has been slow and not very plentiful due to previous squash borer problem, however I have since planted couple of new plants, maybe they will do something.

I have experienced a pretty good tomato crop as far as cherry tomatoes, I have just one plant, but am tired of eating the things, seem to be able to pick a small basketfull every other day.

I also have a larger garden going at brother-in-laws house, and have managed to pick approximately 40-50 lbs. of tomatoes over past 2 weeks, so I have been canning them and making salsa.

Cukes have been bothersome, way more than one could want or use, been making pickles, and just slicing for vinegar mix in fridge like crazy.. think I planted too many, guess will make good fertilizer...lol

Managed to get a couple of Ichiban eggplants, but they must not take heat well, they are now dying.

Bell peppers and Banana peppers have been great. been canning the banana peppers and stuffing bells. Jalapeno peppers still growing.

I have now started taking cuttings from tomatoes for fall crop hopefully, and am looking forward to tring some lettuce and other things this fall.

Please tell me and others how your season is going.

jimmykx250

So far just zuchinni and squash. Tomato plants look good but no fruit except the cherry tomato. I have noticed the yellow squash have small bumps on them what does that mean? This is my second year trying bell peppers and not very good luck. they never seem to grow very big maybee 18 inchs or so and I still have no fruit?!?!? An I doing something wrong?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The only veggies I have in containers this year are cherry tomatoes. They're doing great! I intended to post a picture, but my DS and DDIL apparently munched them all down while helping me plant some peonies. They had to walk past the tomatoes to get to the tool shed and the area where I had the peonies waiting. :lol:

Tammy42

Hi from Alaska: Waiting for my harvest to finish growing, my snap peas are over a yard and about six inches tall. I have one today with blossems, and within the leaves on most of the peas there are some pea pods that you can see. My mom says once they blossom, they sshould stop vining and produce, is this true? How long between pea pods forming can you pick them, how long should they be? Peppers I have lots of blossoms on two of the plants, with both having one pepper each on each plant- one is aboutthe size of my thumb, and the other is about half the size of my thumb. When will I be able to pick these? My cucumbersw are growing bigger. I thought I did see one blossom on one of the plants, waiting for these to blossom and produce. Brussel sprout plants are huge and look like they might be making somr brussels, but don't know, anybody ever grown brussels before? My beefsteak has a tomato a little bigger than a penny, and had lots more blooms. The other tomato plant has about five blossoms. Like I said I am new at this veggie gardening thing, and just waitng for more groth and harvesting!!!!

pepper4
Green Thumb

I have 7 tomato plants in containers with about 80 mators last count. They are all still green. Also 1 cherry and 1 grape tomato plant which are turning red. Peppers are still growing at different stages but I believe some are ready to pick. Cukes are coming along pretty good. Got a few good pickings off green bean plants and now second planting of them are starting to produce. Celery is doing good. Lost my cabbage and cauliflower due to bolting but plan to try again for fall planting. I had a few disappointments but all in all I am pleased with results for a first timer. Next year plan to expand and do zucchini and eggplant.

Earl K
Green Thumb

Well you asked,I got a few harvests of pole beans,Tomatoes were too late so I only got a few,Squash was terrible,peppers were great and still producing many,Strawberries ,got a couple.Cucumbers were infested with worms that bored into them and ate entire insides but still ate a few.Best part is that I look forward to my fall plantings and doing better next time :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”