MichelleNY
Newly Registered

Growth on Sweet Pea

:roll:

I have sweet peaplants grown from seed in large barrel container that are A) not blooming (I planted them in late may) and B) have these green/white blistery growths on the upper stems. Are these normal or indicative of an illness? I am a complete novice and at a loss. I have tried to do some web research but none of the findings fit my situation.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle from NY

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

I love Sweet Peas! Haven't planted any since I was a kid but a friend of mine does.

How much sun are they getting? And, how much water? Containers usually need more. What type of containers I.e. plastic, clay, wood? Have you fed or composted the soil?

Pics would be good too... 8)

Edit: Oh, I see it's a wood barrel...? :roll:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

vintagejuls wrote:I love Sweet Peas! Haven't planted any since I was a kid but a friend of mine does.
Well why not than? :?

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:
vintagejuls wrote:I love Sweet Peas! Haven't planted any since I was a kid but a friend of mine does.
Well why not than? :?
In landscaping my home, I didn't plan for a space to plant sweet peas. But recently, since I'm unemployed, I'm working on a space behind my garage for a vegetable garden which is a real sunny spot. I've though about working in a space for sweet peas there. 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well sorry to hear about your job but good luck on your new garden.

MichelleNY
Newly Registered

I've attached a picture of the whole plant, and tried to get a closeup of the little growths (my zoom is not working well).

The plants are on my terrace, and I water them about once a day (sometimes twice, as it tends to get hot ). We had almost non-stop rain this June in NY, but July has been lovely, not too hot, daily sun. So they get tons of sun.

I have been feeding them with plant-tone fertilizer, about 1/2 teaspoon every two weeks.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks-

sweetpea1.JPG sweetpea2.JPG

Michelle

[img]https://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab87/lamiche35/sweetpea2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab87/lamiche35/sweetpea1.jpg[/img]
[/img]
Last edited by MichelleNY on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Hi, Michelle!

Your image cannot be viewed the way you have posted it. Please read our Webmaster's thread, that includes instructions for how to post pictures.

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23]Tips & Suggestions for New Members[/url]

Once we get a look at the plant, I'm sure someone will be able to offer you some advice. :)

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Sweet Peas are vining plants and need to be staked. So, you might want set the pot up with a small trellis. I think the plant is too small to be ready to bloom yet. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing everything right.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would also clip off the dead spots, with diligence though. Don't take more than 30% of the plant. Then water afterward, give it sun keep it moist. it will come back!

Dono

MichelleNY
Newly Registered

Thanks to all for your tips and information! One of my other sweet pea plants has started to bloom; since it was planted at the same time, I suppose the one I was concerned about will bloom any day now.

I'll take pictures and share soon!

Thanks again

Michelle :lol: :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”