eonaxes

do you have to clear out the drainage after watering?

so far I have been doing this but I always end up making a mess trying to remove excess water from the drainage plates
is this necessary?
Thank You

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, you never want to leave water in the saucer under a container. It promotes root rot. I prefer just to place my plants in the utility room sink when I water them. (If I'm feeling lazy, I just put them in the kitchen sink. :lol: ) After I water them, I let them sit in the sink awhile, until the excess water has completely drained away. Then I replace them in their saucers and put them back in their usual locations. :)

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

For your indoor container plants it depends on the plant IMHO.

Although, more often than not I do what Kisal does and I take my plants to the kitchen sink and some of my large ones to the bath tub for a drink and a shower. I have a sprayer attached to my tub nozzle for bathing my dog (large dog - Rottweiler; loves baths :D ) For me, it's not only about being lazy but I'm not good about keeping a schedule :oops: so I water till it flows through.

But if you're good about watering on a regular schedule you can water just a little so that not much flows through to the saucer. And, since it's summer what little water is in the saucer will probably just evaporate. But too much water left standing attracts bugs and can cause root rot.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You can always set a few pebbles in the saucer and not have to worry about root rot. Though outside, the standing water can cause a mosquito problem.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And inside it can be a breeding zone for fungal issues. Draining is the best policy...

HG

eonaxes

ok thanks
what if the roots are no where near the bottom of the pot?
I left water in my re-potted peace lily for a few days out of laziness (I washed my white tile floor very good and didnt want to make a mess). It has a couple of inches of new soil between the old root ball and the bottom of the pot and the plant seemed to be doing as good as it ever done as far as it staying perky without me having to watering it every other day.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Standing water=reason there are no roots in the bottom of the pot :lol:

Spathiphyllum (peace lily) is a bog plant in it's native habitat, so that is why you are having luck there, but in general it is a bad idea...

HG

Haesuse

I have a question that would go great in this thread... not to hijack enoaxes post, but it looks like he's been answered...

so, I have 3 plants inside my house in 20 gallon planters.

1) Schefflera actinophylla (Amate)
2) Schefflera arboricola (variegated)
3) Philodendron (huge elephant ear shaped, deep purple/dark green leaves)

my question, then, is: since my plants, in 20 gallon planters, weigh a good 60lbs, bone dry, and easily twice that, once watered, what in the world am I supposed to do, to get the excess water out of the saucer? moving them is just not an option. for one, it would require a dolly or some other such moving apparatus. for two, the philodendron and the scheff amate, are just too big to move. they don't fit through doors without special care and effort not to break limbs and leaves off.

so, what to do? I've been sitting on my butt with a turkey baster, sucking all the excess water out after each watering. but this has become a huge pain.

any other options? a wetvac, maybe? anything else?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't bother with a turkey baster. I'd use a siphon pump. They're inexpensive ... anywhere from $2 up to $20, depending on how fancy you want to get ... and they're effective. I had a nifty little $5 model that I used when I had to empty my large aquariums.

Whatever water the siphon pump couldn't get could be wiped out with paper towels.

Haesuse

Haesuse wrote: I've been sitting on my edited with a turkey baster

can't believe that word got edited. <sigh>

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”