slcgirl86britt
Newly Registered

Ponytail Palm

I have a ponytail palm that has become "wiggly" in its pot. Should I transplant it into a slightly larger pot and put a bit more soil in it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome! :)

Yes, definitely repot your palm. It may be that it has just become top heavy, or it may be root bound. Don't use too large a pot, though. Go up just one size, unless your palm is very large, in which case you might be able to get away with a pot 2 sizes larger.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

It may also have some type of root dieback disease that has weakened the roots grip on the soil. When you repot it, be sure it is in a well draining soil.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That's a very good point, Bonsaiboy!

When I was posting, I thought to myself that root bound plants are usually tight in their pots, but my brain didn't make the connection with my fingertips, so my thought just fell by the wayside! :lol:

slcgirl86britt
Newly Registered

I have moved my tree into a pot one size larger and added the cactus soil to the pot. I am worried that it may be something like root rot. The new pot and soil should drain very well and I am going to move it to a spot that gets some more sunlight. If it is a type of root rot, can it recover from it? When I transplanted the tree I noticed that the base of the tree has a small "crack" in it.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

When I was posting, I thought to myself that root bound plants are usually tight in their pots, but my brain didn't make the connection with my fingertips, so my thought just fell by the wayside!
It happens to all of us sometimes :)

slcgirl86britt,
It should recover if cared for right. When you repotted it, did you notice if the roots were strong with white tips or brownish and frail? Frail roots are a sign of root rot. The best thing to do if the roots are rotten is to treat it with a fungicide and plant it into an inorganic soil (like lava rocks) until you feel it has taken root.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”