Vatika

Aqua Globes

Do Aqua globes work? We are going out for a weekend and my impatiens that's in a hanging basket ouside needs to be watered everyday otherwise it gets all droopy. So I want to put an Aqua Globe in it, but don't know if they work.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Get a two or three liter coke bottle, insert a small hose fitting for drip irrigation on or near the bottom of the bottle. Run a length of small rubber drip irrigation hose and insert a drip emitter into the end. Hang the bottle near your basket, and set the drip emiitter to a very slow drip. I have not tried this set up yet, but since setting up a drip system this year, I think that such a set up will work well as an automatic watering system for a day or two. You will want to test it in advance, to make sure that the drip setting is not too fast.

Haesuse

hendi_alex wrote:Get a two or three liter coke bottle, insert a small hose fitting for drip irrigation on or near the bottom of the bottle. Run a length of small rubber drip irrigation hose and insert a drip emitter into the end. Hang the bottle near your basket, and set the drip emiitter to a very slow drip.

that is a fairly complicated process for someone who just wants to stick some aquaglobes in their plants for a short vacation..

yes, vatika, they work. I would NEVER use them as your primary source of watering, for ANYthing. but, for a basket of impatiens, over a weekend vacation? they will do the job admirably.

GardenerGirl

I tried aqua globes once, when I was going on a trip for 5 days in August and didn't want my tomatoes to die. When I got back, one globe was broken, the other globes were still half-full of water, and my tomatoes were all dead and dried out. I'm not a huge fan. ;)

webmaster
Site Admin

Alex is on to something. Here's a simple method for [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14234]watering plants while away[/url] involving beer bottles.

applestar
Mod

OK, simplifying Alex's idea, how about taking that soda bottle, just poking a hole or 2 in the bottom and a pin hole (air inlet) near the top, tightly cap it and hang it from the same hook as the hanging pot. Experiment with the size and number of holes in the bottom and the size and number of air inlet holes near the top to get the desired rate of drip into the pot. (The air inlet might also be adjusted by how tightly you close the cap)

This is actually also an adaptation of attracting backyard birds by dripping water into the birdbath from a plastic milk jug I read somewhere.

sweet thunder

I've used [url=https://www.gardeners.com/Aqua-Cones/VegetableGardening_TerrificTomatoes,18034,default,cp.html]these[/url] for temporary or supplemental watering and been very happy with them.
It's pretty much the same thing applestar is suggesting, just store-bought instead of DIY.
I haven't tried aqua globes but I'm not fond of the fact that they are glass and that they don't seem to let in air very well.

Haesuse

GardenerGirl wrote:I tried aqua globes once, when I was going on a trip for 5 days in August and didn't want my tomatoes to die. When I got back, one globe was broken, the other globes were still half-full of water, and my tomatoes were all dead and dried out. I'm not a huge fan. ;)

I would NEVER condone the use of aquaglobes for tomatoes. nor any other veggies.

but, impatiens? sure.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've considered a simpler version, but believe that water control will be better using the drip modification. The simpler version involves drilling a hole in the bottom of the plastic bottle, place a snug wick in the hole. Fill bottle with water, and slightly cover wick with soil in the container to be auto watered. The water should move through the wick as it is needed by the plant.

theJenix
Newly Registered

Just found this thread on google, thought I'd post my experience. I just started using Aqua globes on 2 young dwarf cherry trees (I kept forgetting to water them normally). I've had the globes in for about a week, the plants are growing well with new leaves popping out, and the soil is moist. As such, I would definitely recommend them but like most things (in gardening and in life) you need to try them out in your situation under a watchful eye so you can correct any issues or discontinue use before your plants die.

froggy

I use them on my ferns, the other plants are so so on them. Main thing is to consider what soil you are using - if it's well draining and big junks to get air to the roots, then the globes will just empty in one go...
I've read of people sticking bottles of water upside down into the soil to provide extra water for their tomatoes - it would work along the same principle...

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”