Transplant a plant from a garden into a pot

I have recently moved into a duplex thats come with a small well groomed yard, and currently has a something little extra. There is what looks to be a plant (sweetpea from my estimate) that someone inteded to throw away as almost all the roots are above ground and it looks to have been potted. I had tried picking up what I thought would be a green dirt clump and throw it away but it has rooted tightly into the ground. So I thought I'd wait and see. Sure enough its bloomed wonderfully. Unfornatly I know my landlord plans to come by in a week or so and groom the lawn and remove the plant. Any tips on saving this beauty via a transplant? I was thinking it would work good as an outdoor haning plant. Please offer any advice as time is short. ^_^ thanks

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum riverspree!
I'm assuming that since you're thinking of a hanging plant, that you are wanting this in a pot.
What you need to do, is first water the plant in the ground very well. Then dig around it, trying not to hit it's roots. Once you have dug all the way around, you should be able to lift it out of the hole.
Remove any grass, weeds etc. from it and throw them in the hole. You can also brush off any loose soil into the hole that doesn't have roots in it.

Now, ensure that you have a pot large enough, and that it has drainage holes in the bottom. Put some good quality potting soil in the bottom of the pot. Then place the plant in the position you want it. Fill the remainder of the pot with potting soil, pushing it down gently with your hands. Don't stomp or push really hard, as you may break the roots. Continue filling and tamping it down until it is filled to about 1" from the top of the pot, and the plant is in soil up to where it was when it was in the ground. Give another really good watering, and you're set.

Now go fill that hole! :lol:

Best of luck, let us know how it goes. If you send us a photo, we might be able to identify the plant for you.
Feel free to return with any question, concerns, or just to chat! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Might want to throw a hanful of kelp meal in the pot as well. Good luck with saving your plant. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”