BabyGartner

Tomato Transplant in tomato bag w/ gardening soil

I have started my tomatoes from seeds and transplanted them to 1 gallon pots awhile ago. I decided I needed larger containers for my tomatoes so purchased some tomato bags that can hold 1-2 plants, comfortably. Normally when I transplant or plant any of my vegetables I use a mix of cheap gardening soil, miracle gro gardening soil, and organic potting soil for vegetables. It's been a good mix but this time I decided to do without the organic potting soil mix so as to save some money. I transplanted my plants on Saturday and made sure I had some egg shells and coffee grounds, a little blood meal, and then used some miracle gro tomato plant food after I did a thorough water-through and I guess I'm expecting a miracle, but nothing's changed. This may sound silly as it's only been 2 days now, but I hope I haven't hurt my tomato plant. I water every day, make sure they get their sun and they've grown very well. Already 3 feet tall (grew from seedlings!) and I put some bamboo with twine around the perimeter to act as a tomato cage to help with support. I pamper my plants and I just hope I didn't upset it by forgoing the potting soil this time around. I know gardening soil isn't recommended for potted plants but I usually use it for 2/3 of the pots soil and potting soil comprises the remaining 1/3 (trying to save cash :) Does anyone think I made a big boo boo? I still have 2 more plants to transplant and I think I'll make a mix of gardening soil, miracle gro gardening soil and organic potting soil mix... just to be safe. Any recommendations? Suggestions?

Thanks ever so much!!

Haesuse

you might very well have planted them in too compact and dense a soil. in general, garden soil makes for a very poor container mix. the dirt will compact on itself, not drain well, and leave little room for the roots to grow and breathe...

I don't know if you've messed up or not, but you could have problems...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Oh, my, yes! I agree with Haesuse. If you used garden soil, instead of a mix designed especially for containers, you could have problems. Garden soil doesn't drain well when used for container-grown plants. :(

BabyGartner

I figured it wasn't the best idea but maybe they'll be ok... I will use a mix of gardening soil and then potting soil for the next 2 I have to transplant. I've done this in the past and it's been working... I do fear the 100% gardening soil that I used won't prove to be the most effective but this is my first time gardening. Live and learn... any more transplanting or purchasing soil my husband will go nuts. :) Thanks for the input!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”