lemoncait
Newly Registered

Root rot VS. Dried out leaves!

Hi!
How do I tell if my peaplants have rot root, or if the leaves have just dried out?

Two of my pea plants have brown, crunchy, leaves! =(

I realized I shouldnt be watering the leaves in the heat, so I'm not sure if I just dried them out from getting them wet +adding a lot of sun.

I still found a pea on one of them the other day...

Is there any hope in saving them?? Should I trim off the brown leaves? The vines/stems/whatever they be named... =) ... are still greenish

Hmm!! :shock:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Are your plants in sufficiently large containers? Are they getting enough water to cope with the heat in your area? What time of day do you water them?

The answer to your main question, I.e. "is there any hope of saving them," will depend on how far gone they are. Can you post some pictures for us?

applestar
Mod

I think it depends on how hot the weather's getting, and the maturation of the pea variety. My peas are just about done, though temp went down to 55ºF last night.

They usually start to yellow and dry out from the bottom -- I usually cut off the dried leaves and tendrils to stave off mildew/mold. Towards the top, the plant starts to struggle making pea pods. When the plant is no longer capable of producing decent pods, I declare the vine done, pull it up and compost it.

If heat IS the issue, since yours are in containers, you may be able to keep it alive a little longer by moving it to an afternoon shade location or dappled shade (under somewhat open canopy tree) location....

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”