lemoncait
Newly Registered

Too late to plant?

I just wondered if it was too late to start planting some more veggies!
I planted some in April (18th) and the second batch on May 17th.

The first set of Peas that I planted have grown tall, and have been getting quite a few peas. Except I think two plants might of ...either gotten root rot or just dried out the leaves from the sun, so we'll see if they live. One of the other plants is doing great.

The SECOND pea plant, is tinyyy still, only about 8 inches tall, but its growing peas just as good as the bigger guys! So it made me want to plant a few more pea plants. and maybe another green bean plant.

I'd also really like to plant cucumbers ( I forgot to grab some at the store) NOT from seeds- like a bonnie plant or whatever?
And is it too late to grow peppers??

What about another tomato plant??

I think I live in zone 6b?! (southern washington state)

Thanks for any help!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have planted starts this late in the year, and still gotten a good harvest. Last year, I wasn't able to get anything in the ground until the first week of July, and I still got a decent amount of produce. Your area may begin to cool off a little earlier in the fall than mine does, although I think I'm in the same zone as you. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would think it's getting late to plant more peas, because they don't like the heat. And it's getting late to plant slow growers like peppers, but there are a lot of things you could plant now for a fall harvest, especially root crops-- beets, carrots, onions, turnips... The cucumbers would be fine and probably zucchini and other squashes. They like hot weather and are among the last things to be planted out anyway. Similarly for melons. Radishes are always good just because they are so fast growing.

Later on, like mid August ish you can plant cooler weather crops for a fall crop. That would be things like broccoli, cabbage, and all the green leafies...

applestar
Mod

I think it's not too late for hot weather vegs like tomatoes, peppers, and cukes as long as you get the faster maturing varieties. Don't get generic plants from big box stores -- try a specialty nursery and garden center with staff that can tell you the actual days to maturity of each vegetable plant variety.

FWIW - I've dealt by mail order with Territorial Seed Company in Washington State. They do sell plants as well but I've never ordered them since it would take too long to ship all the way to NJ. I'm sure there are others. Nichols Garden Nursery is another one that I like -- they're in Oregon, though.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”