Vatika

Does my Peace lily need repotting?

I have a peace lily plant that is growing very well. Lots of dark green leaves, big and small but the pot seems too small to me. I am not sure if I should repot in a bigger pot or not. I also see some roots on the top of the soil. I have such a brown thumb, that I worry I may kill a good plant by doing something I shouldn't be doing.

The pot is a 5 inches metal pot (with no drainage in the bottom!), and the plant is almost 12 inches long. What do you guys think?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

One way to tell is to gently remove the plant from the pot and look at the root ball. If everything looks okay, I.e. the roots don't look crowded and there aren't roots circling the outside of the root ball, you can just drop it back into its pot until a later date. If the roots do seem to be crowded, just put the plant back in its pot while you gather your supplies and prepare larger pot for it. The new pot shouldn't be more than 4 inches greater in diameter than the old pot. Choose a new pot that allows for drainage, as well. The plant will be much happier. :)

Vatika

Thanks kisal. I'll do just that. Will get back soon to update what I see. :)

Vatika

Hey Kisal, thanks for taking the time to reply and helping out. :)

I thought I'll post a pic of the peace lily and the roots. Tell me what you think. thanks!

[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/Riyasmommy/DSC07431.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/Riyasmommy/DSC07434.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think it needs repotting at the present time. It will eventually, of course, but the roots don't appear to be terribly overcrowded. I think I would wait awhile, if it were mine.

Why not leave it in its old pot for now, and take another peak at the roots in about a month or 6 weeks, unless it begins to show signs of stress, such as wilting?

It bothers me that it's in a pot without drainage holes, though. It looks quite healthy, but you're really risking root rot by not providing adequate drainage. Typically, what I've seen happen with such plants is that, as the roots fill the container, they become less able to absorb water, causing the plant to wilt soon after it has been watered. Many times, that leads the owner to think they need to water the plant more frequently. Without adequate drainage, the roots simply begin to rot.

If you want to repot it at this time, why not just choose a pot the same size or just a tad larger than the old one, but select one with good drainage?

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Your Peace Lily is quite happy!

I agree with Kisal. You can repot it but it's not urgent. But when you do repot it, select a pot just 1 size larger than what it's currently in and preferrably with drainage holes.

Keep on doin' what you're doin'! :wink:

Vatika

You guys are wonderul for being so quick to reply back. :)

Kisal, I discovered that on top of no drainage inthe pot, there is a plastic cover in the pot too! Now that would stifle me so, yes, I am going to go today and get a pot that will help my peace lily breathe a bit.

Thanks, vintagejuls.

Vatika

Oh, one more thing, when you say pot size should be a tad larger, does that mean diameter of the pot, or the depth? Or both? I know the depth shouldn't be shallower than the current pot, but what if the depth is a little too large than the current pot?

I feel silly asking these questions, but I want to do it right for the plants.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

For this change of containers, choose a pot that that is close to the same diameter (measurement across). It will be fine if it's the same depth, too, or you can select one that is just a bit deeper. In other words, the new container doesn't have to be exactly the same size, just within an inch. :)

Vatika

Thanks Kisal, I had the perfect container (the one where my white jewel dracaena was growing), so I repotted the peace lily to that one and got a new smaller one for the Draceana.

Thanks!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”