Vatika

White Jewel Dracaena - not growing

I have a white jewel dracaena that doesn't seem to be growing tall at all. The leaves are dark green but the plant has not gained length since last year! Is that common? I repotted it last fall in a slightly bigger pot, and it sits by a glass door, so get plenty of indirect light.

What am I doing wrong? :?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

How large is your plant? 'White Jewel' is described in the patent information as a compact cultivar, with a mature height of 38 to 40 cm., which is approximately 16 inches.

You can read the details here (scroll down the page):

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/PP12433.html

I'm not familiar with the plant myself, however. Perhaps someone who owns one will post their personal experience with the cultivar. :)

Vatika

It's about 5 inches tall. What's a compact cultivar? :oops:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It just means it won't grow to be as large as other varieties of the species. At 5" tall, however, yours should still be growing. Perhaps you could post an image of yours? It might help members to evaluate any problems that might exist, if they could see the plant. :)

Vatika

Thanks Kisal. And here are the pics, hopefully they show up (I am pasting the link from photobucket).

[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/Riyasmommy/DSC07432.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/Riyasmommy/DSC07433.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know that much about dracaenas, but to me, the pot looks too large for the plant. It may be busy growing roots, instead of producing top growth. Does this pot have drainage holes?

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

I have dracaenas; not this type but am familiar.

Kisal made a good point - the pot could be too large. But more importantly, if there are no drainage holes this could be part of the problem. The brown on the leaves is caused from irregular watering and it appears as though you trim the brown off which is fine. Do you feed it any type of plant food? If not, you can use a basic 15-15-15. I prefer Miracle Grow mixed with water.

Dracaenas like to dry out between waterings and then receive a good drink. Indoor container plants like to get a shower once in awhile to get rid of dust. My suggestion is to make sure the pot has good drainage (soil should not be too compacted and pot with holes) and dries out between waterings (check by digging down 1-2" in the soil). I'm not sure where you are located but houseplants prefer a humid climate. During the winter, the heater dries them out; hence, the shower once in a while.

Hope these suggestions help. :D

I forgot to add, this plant is slow growing. And, it does look like you have some new growth so you're doing something right... :D

Vatika

Kisal, this pot has drainage holes. Can I move the plant to a smaller pot?

vintagejuls, I did trim the brown off, and new leaves are growing but the plant doesn't seem to grow!!! I am baffled. I am in Kentucky and it's summer here. I do sprinkle water from the top on all my houseplants and wash the dirt off. Right now the Dracaena sits in fron of our back patio door, getting lot of light. Will it help the plant if I move it to the bathroom? No light there though, except for very, ver littel indirect natural light.

Thanks for your help guys.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

It may be that it doesn't have enough nutrients in the soil. Maybe it needs to be fertilized. Another thing to realize about dwarf dracaenas is that there growth is often so slow one doesn't realize it is growing. However, seeing as there are new leafs coming out of the top (the undamaged ones) I would say it is growing.

Haesuse

I will second what bonsaiboy said. if there are NEW leaves forming at the top, center of the plant you posted pics of (there are- I see them), then it IS growing.

my guess is that it took the plant a while to become comfortable in its new pot, growing new roots, adjusting, etc, that it is just now beginning to grow properly.

Vatika

bonsaiboy, I have started fertilizing all my houseplants every two weeks by miracle gro liquid feed.

Last night I repotted it to smaller pot, so the new potting mix should help too. I hope!

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Vatika, You are taking all the right steps and will most likely begin to notice a difference. Happy gardening! :wink:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”