pepper4
Green Thumb

tomato growing in containers

I planted all my tomatos in large containers. Some with miracle gro and some with regular potting soil mixed with topsoil and manure . Both ways are doing great. When I planted them I watered with fish emulsion and continued giving them a watering once a week with it because in pots the nutrients get washed out quicker. I have read where some add bone meal to the hole before adding tomato. Make sure you have good drainage in your container. Very important. I have read where some add rocks or gravel to bottom of container to help with drainage although I didn't. In containers you will probably have to water alittle more often. We had a few hot days where I've gave them alittle drink twice a day. Also I added leaves and mulch on top of soil to keep the dirt from splashing up on plant. Don't know if it matters but read it and decided to do it. I have them staked up with a thin bamboo pole and old nylons but they are getting to be about 3 feet so I may have to go with something sturdier. This is my first year for any kind of veggie growing so I took the advise from different ones and did what I did. So far so good :D Hope I was of some help :wink:

oldschoolvdub
Cool Member

I've noticed that as they get really big, they are harder to keep staked up, so I end up using cages on all my tomatoes. I wanted to buy 4x4 square garden fencing material, but I never got around to it this year. I've always done really well with a decent soil and some manure added. Doesn't always smell the best, but it works well.

Unfortunantly now I have to keep my plants off my patio because my dog doesn't seem to like them there. So I have an area that I had to put a fence up to keep him out! LOL...

Good luck sounds like you are well on your way to a bunch of tasty tomatoes...

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Thanks! That's some helpful feedback! Still trying to grow mine ...

starflare
Cool Member

So am I

Trishla

me too. I ended up building a bamboo cage since stalking didnt help much and one of my healthy branch snapped off.

I have the indeterminante variety and they have grown 3 ft already but no fruits so far coz I was fool to pluck the flowers without realizing that they bear fruits.
(Read somewhere that plant can concentrate on growing fruits better this way.)

Tammy42

Thanks everybody for all the info, this is my first for growing any tomatoes!!! I have 2 tomatoes growing in containers one is a beefstake and the other I don't know. I have trouble with the one I don't know is it has grown long and had blooms, but the first set of blooms died on it. It has some more but know tomatoes yet. Ihave problems with this one, the leaves sometimes yellow om it and look dead, what is this? Right now they are curled, is this due to the heat, we have been having very high temps here, is this due to that? The other one is doing good, has blooms on it and it has a tomatoe on it, it's leaves are trying to curl, is this due to hot weather? :?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's much easier with pictures, Tammy. Close up of leaves, fruit, damage and a macro shot of the container and the area it's in are best...

HG

Tammy42

Thanks, I will need to find a way to do this on my husbands new computer!!!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”