newbyplantlover
Cool Member

What kind of soil for tropical houseplants?

The subject line is pretty straight forward. The kinds of plants I have (in case it makes any difference)

*Diffenbachia
*Dracaena
*Maranta (prayer plant)
*Philodendrun
*Pothos
*Spathyphilum
*Ivy
*Pilea
*Tradescantia
*Peperomia

Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've only grown a couple of these as houseplants. (I'm just not too big on houseplants, given that I have curious cats and clumsy dogs... :lol: )

Pothos: "lives" in a pot with a partial eastern exposure. Regular potting soil, with a very little compost in it. I will admit to occasional use of Osmocote. I trim the pothos off every few months--whenever it gets long enough to annoy me.

Philodendron: we kept a philodendron alive in a vase filled with *water only* for several years. Then I got tired of being nervous about the animals knocking over the vase, breaking it, spilling water on the hardwood floor, cutting their own feet, etc. We placed it in a terra-cotta pot with potting mix and a very little compost. Osmocote, etc. I gave it away on FreeCycle a couple of years ago.

HTH.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Thanks, Cynthia. 'Regular' potting mix, then?

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Regular potting soil works just fine. Over the years and on an extremely occasional basis (mostly because I forget :roll: ), I have used Miracle Grow All Purpose that you mix with water.

If you do have pets, they may be attracted to the smell of the fresh potting soil. At least my pets have always been but only briefly. 8)

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Thanks a bunch, Julie! Yeah, I do have cats. They seem to like the sound of the bag a lot better than the soil. :lol:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

As a general rule, most houseplants do not mind what kind of soil they grow in as long as it is well draining. Most potting soils work fine. However, I would stay away from the ones that contain a lot of peat. Peat causes the soil to hold to much water. Some soils also contain cow manure. Depending on how you feel about having your indoor plants growing in this substance, you may not want to use it.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”