HecatesMoon

Gardenias in Deep, Deep Trouble

I bought a couple gardenias. They are sitting in an east facing window with bright light and full sunlight all morning. They are in Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. They are in terra cotta pots. They were doing fine until I repotted them, giving blooms, lovely as could be. After repotting them they began to droop. I watered them...nothing happened. I discovered spider mites, bathed the plants in soapy water, rinsed them, repotted them and they were themselves again for about twenty four hours. They began to droop again. Now the leaves are drooping, they are still green but they are a pale, dull green. No gloss. Very thin. I bought a humidifier. Helped me. Didn't help the plants. What's happening to them and can they be saved???

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Any reminates of soap left in the soil may act as a poison. It would be a good idea to rinse out the soil, or better yet, change it all together. It may be to late, if that is the problem. Soap changes the intermolecular structure of water, and thus may not allow the intermolecular forces necissary to carry the water to the upper parts of the canopy to work. I do not know if that is possible, but it is a good idea to change the soil. Maybe someone else can offer there input on this.

HecatesMoon

They look so awful. I hold a glimmer of hope, but feel they are lost. Most surprising I have discovered that I became attached to....plants.
I went to the stand where I bought them, and spoke to the owner. He said there's a possibility that it could be the soil. Someone else said it might be a mineral in the pot thats interacting with the soil and dropping the pH.
Seeing them now...I don't know if I should bother. Just breaks my heart. :cry:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Everyone kills plants at some point in there gardening saga. It just happens.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Bonsaiboy is right! We've all lost plants. Don't let it discourage you. It's one of the many ways we learn. Replace your plants and enjoy them. :)

HecatesMoon

These plants are a roller coaster and they keep shocking me. I did buy another gardenia but decided to try and save one of my dying ones.
I placed it back in the original container after removing the newer soil and watered it with very diluted miracid. This morning, I got up to find....dangerous as it is to say this....it's trying to come back!!!! There are leaves standing, color returning...I am amazed.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Gardenias like really, really well draining soil and environment. Perhaps, the clay pot and the way the soil was packed in was not enough drainage. :?

I prefer clay or ceramic pots vs plastic. These type of pots with more than one hole for drainage are difficult to find. Normally, when repotting you only want to go 1 size larger than the original container. However, in this situation and to accomodate an excellent drainage environment maybe a larger pot with some pebbles/pea gravel to occupy about 1" to 2" of the bottom of the clay pot and then place the Gardenia with fresh potting soil lightly packed. Gently water the soil to naturally place the soil around the plant. Feed with next watering. Gardenias prefer to NOT dry out but of course they don't want to be saturated constantly.

Good luck with your dilemma. Keep us posted. :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gardenias are hothouse sissies with very finicky needs. I gave up on them as house plants some years back and feel good with that decision decades later...

HG

HecatesMoon

My gardenia lives!!! It amazes me! There are dark green, glossy leaves again. Many leaves have died, but it is recovering. They are difficult plants. You can't even look at them funny without a leaf turning yellow and falling off, but I was so charmed by the blossom it gave me originally, that I just can't leave them alone. At some point, I will get the appropriate combination of things to keep my gardenias alive, and feel they will be worth all the effort :D

HecatesMoon

oh! I will say this though! The gardenia that I placed in cactus soil, while it seems to be OK, does have some yellowing on the leaves, including on new growth, so it must be too wet? It seems that miracle grow doesn't make a potting mix that isn't too rich. Would adding some coarse sand clear that up or should I mix it with orchid mix? The hibiscus I put in the same mix as that near dead gardenia isn't doing too good either, even now that I've removed it. It seems that miracle grow mixes are just not good for flowering tropicals.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Miracle Grow Mixes are not good for soil biology; they kill it. So if there are any specific mycorrhizal symbiotes that gardenia need for contiued good health, don't use it. Soil makes it's own fertilizer with biology if you allow it, which Miracle Grow, in any form, does not...

Should anyone disagree, simply take a soil solution from good compost, put it on a microscope, look at the teeming microbes, then put a TINY drop of MG, mixed as directed on the edge of the solution and watch the wave of death travel through the slide. The poor little protozoans just rupture and die, as do any fungal hyphae. You get a little bacterial boost from all the dead stuff, but even that disappears after a while...

Gardenias are about the best smelling plant going...my last one was back in my chemical days; who knows, it could very well be a loss of mycorrhizae that is the issue.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

HecatesMoon wrote:My gardenia lives!!! It amazes me! There are dark green, glossy leaves again. Many leaves have died, but it is recovering. They are difficult plants. You can't even look at them funny without a leaf turning yellow and falling off, but I was so charmed by the blossom it gave me originally, that I just can't leave them alone. At some point, I will get the appropriate combination of things to keep my gardenias alive, and feel they will be worth all the effort :D
Congrats! :D So happy to hear the good news... Gardenias are wonderful to look at and the fragance unforgettable and addicting. I haven't had very good luck with gardenias in the past; haven't tried in recent years. Maybe your efforts will be incentive for me to try again.

Would love to see pics! :o

HecatesMoon

Julie,
You should try again. I made two very big mistakes with these plants. One was sticking them in miracle grow soil :P The other was not heeding the warnings about appropriate temperature and humidity. I had the plants on trays but it was not enough. I let the room get very hot. Bad idea. That's fine when they're outside and the pests that plague them have predators, but inside made them too easy a target.
I've taken the trays of pebble and water away and put in a humidifier instead. I also broke down and turned on the air conditioning. So far so good. Temp is good and humidity is staying up.
I've kept the plant in its recovery in bright light. I am going to place it back in its window today I think. (They sit in an east facing window where they get morning sun and bright light the rest of the day.)
If I ever manage to get this plant healthy again and keep my new one alive on top of it, I will post pics :P

vnswamy
Newly Registered

I had the same problem after repoting and followed the tip to remove miraclegro soil (not a miracle hum !) in this topic but used black coffee diluted. within hours :-() the leaves were shiny and perked up! thanks for the tip !

imafan26
Mod

Gardenias like an acidic soil that is well drained. They don't like to dry out, but too much water and they will rot. The clay pot was not the problem. The soil mix might have gotten too much soap solution,or if you used dish soap and not horticultural insecticidal soap or oil it may have had other things in it. Gardenias are sensitive to pH and chemicals. When you took the plant outside and flushed it and then let it dry it may have done some good.

Gardenias are usually attacked by pests most when they are under stress. They need very bright light and like good air circulation. If it is warm enough they would be happier on a patio or deck in morning sun. It is an under story tree and can actually do well in a sheltered area outside as long as it gets regular water and it does not get too cold.

Usually aphids and thrips are more common problems. I use systemic rose care on them. It keeps the bugs under control for 6 weeks. I try not to spray, but I do have plants that are difficult to control pests organically, so roses, hibiscus, and gardenias get systemics. If you want to try to be organic you can use horticultural oil (if it is in the house), it works better on spider mites than soap spray. Gardenias are heavy feeders and need to have micronutrients especially iron.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”