eonaxes

helping out my damaged dragon tree

it got damaged on the ride home when I first got it
many of its leaves got bent
not most of those bent leaves turned brown and hard

so far I havent done anything drastic to it, I only water every 10 days or so and starting spraying a mist of water on it a few times a day since I read they like humidity
just want to know if I should do more to help it repair
thanks

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

It should be fine, even if the growing tip is damaged. If it is, it will just put out some branches near the top.

MoPlants
Newly Registered

I assume your dragon tree is Draco draconis, a native of the Canary Islands off the west coast of Africa. This is a most remarkable plant with a thick succulent trunk and tufts of foliage at the branch tips. If you nick it the sap will run red, and it was once used as "dragon's blood" in old European spell casting. When the trees bleed in their homeland the sap dries out into hard resin, and Europeans didn't know where it came from. But ships coming back from Asia stopped there to refuel, and always picked up the resin to sell as blood.

These are tough plants that like a mild, dry climate and very well drained soils. They are quite happy in sandy ground. They produce new leaves vigorously over the heat of the summer so any damage now will soon grow through. Take a peek at the soil and repot in a very porous sandy mix if you find it contains a lot of woody matter, as this can introduce rot. You can water every week over summer but just be sure it drains well and completely dries out before you water again.

Blunt

If all else fails feed it a virgin :flower: After all it works in the movies :lol:

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Blunt wrote:If all else fails feed it a virgin :flower: After all it works in the movies :lol:
Blunt, this is a gardening forum. It is preferred that your opinion and input be relative to the topic. Thanks! :wink:

Blunt

Blunt, this is a gardening forum. It is preferred that your opinion and input be relative to the topic. Thanks!

It is a dragon plant

eonaxes

I have noticed that the leaves from the 3 main stalks of my dragon tree are colliding with each other. Could this become a problem? Thanks

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Can you post a picture?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I do not think it is a problem as this happens in nature.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”