Annie Riddle
Newly Registered

Potted hydrangea problem

I have a beautiful indoor potted hydrangea......Recently added the "acidity" sticks (2), due to the size of the pot, as suggested by the nursery. I notice today that the lower leaves are wilted and drooping, yet the upper plant seems very healthy. Plant gets lots of early morning sun, and all day wonderful light near huge window. It was suggested I water thoroughly only once a week, and drain well. I have done so....HELP!...Thank you....

(I was referred to you from the main forum. Would appreciate any help...)

HecatesMoon

Are the leaves yellow? Are they brown? Test the soil to see if it is dry. If it's dry, water it. If the leaves are still drooping after it's been watered, check for bugs. If there are and you get rid of them and the plant still droops try a humidifier.
If you just bought the plants and have repotted them, check online for recommendations for the right kind of potting soil for acid loving plants. I'd take out the sticks if they are newer plants and just put them in an appropriate soil.

Annie Riddle
Newly Registered

Thank you for your response. No, leaves are green - just drooping and limp. However, I stopped by the nursery today and the lady feels its getting too much direct sun, so I thoroughly watered and drained it, and have moved it to another area, where it gets great light from TWO windows, but no direct sun! I've had the plant less than two weeks, and bought it because it was so beautiful and healthy. The nursery owner is a Japanese lady, and I find her to be very knowledgeable, so I'm hoping I get up tomorrow to find all the leaves upright again. If I continue to have a problem - trust me! - I'll be writing again!.....Thanks so much.......

Annie Riddle
Newly Registered

Hello.....Just a P.S. re my potted hydrangea. When I got up early today, 99% of the leaves have returned to their original beautiful glory, so I believe moving from direct dun to great light with NO sun did the trick! I lost a few small new leaves from the lower branches, but I'm confident that my beautiful plant is on the way to recovery. I may also remove one of those "acidity" sticks, as I think two of them may just have been too much for the container. I know only too well how those sticks can "burn" a plant. Thank you so much for your site, and for the response....

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”