Amorakspirit
Newly Registered

little red buggies!

So I don't mind bugs they are a part of life... but I don't have potted house plants for that very reason... the tree my inlaws sent as a house warming gift is wonderful but............ first the leaves started falling off.... I was told it was natural for that to happen :) , now one side is lusher then the other, so now I will rotate the tree so it gets equal light. :wink: I think ihave the watering down and I still need to repot it :( but now the tree (Hawaiian Umbrella plant tree) not a bonsai it is a tree.... it had tinny little redish bugs :shock: (So little they almost look like orange dust) what are they and how do I get em off my tree so I can bring it in by next weekend (inlaws are coming for a visit). they were not their on thursday and I noticed them yesterday. Plaese help! I know I shouldnt be bringing the plant in and out of my home but I have to treat it out doors I have 3 cats. thanks a head of time :)

A.

Amorakspirit
Newly Registered

I take it back..... they are more of a light orange/yellowish color.... they looked darker last night... sorry :) but they are tiny

applestar
Mod

They are probably red spider mites. They usually congregate and make webbing on the UNDERSIDE of leaves and between leaf stems and trunk -- they're easier to spot if you lightly mist the plant. When infested, plants usually start losing their green color, sometimes with tiny white spots.

To get rid of them, you can spray with strong shower -- either with the garden hose outside, or kitchen sink if the plant is small enough, or in the bathroom shower (if you have a fixed shower head and can't aim, cover the pot and soil with a plastic bag tied around the trunk to protect the soil from washing out) Now tilt your plants from side to side and spray from UNDER the leaves.

If plain water seems insufficient, try tepid/lukewarm water (shouldn't feel WARM - remember your hand is around 96º -- your don't want to COOK your plant). If that's still not enough, I use a splash of mouthwash mixed with water in a small spray bottle (the inexpensive 1~2C capacity kind sold in pharmacy aisles)

Red spider mites like dry air so get in the habit of misting your plant often. You may need to repeat in 3 or 4 days in case you missed some. If you normally keep you plant indoors, you might want to give it a good shower once in a while.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good call on the mites, AS... I like an oil spray for mites; suffocates the little buggers by coating them. Neem oil is effective as it is both an oil and insecticide (mites are actually related to spiders and are not particularly susceptible to a lot of insecticides, but almost everything suffocates). PLus I have found it to be good for low level fungus like mildew, so it is always a good thing to have on hand for any organic gardener. Even a light oil like you would use for cooking like canola or grape oil can be pressed into service ; just remember that the plant will need some supplemental shade right after treatment (or you can cook leaves in full sun) and check it again in a week and re-treat if needed...

HG

Amorakspirit
Newly Registered

Thank you for the input... I will try the shower :)
the oil seems like a good idea and I will keep that in mind for my outdoor plants ....
thanks again :)
A.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”