BarryII
Newly Registered

Dracaenas at Home Depot

I'm thinking of getting a dracaena at Home Depot. They're about two feet high but I have to choose between two varieties. One has three tightly braided trunks (or stems or whatever) and has thin, dark green leaves with a different color around the edges. The other has just one trunk with lighter green leaves of a uniform color and just as thin, with just as many leaves as the triple braided ones.

I noticed that they also sell larger ones, but those are all the darker variety with the different colored edges. I wonder if the lighter green ones don't get that tall.

Anyone know the difference between these two varieties?

BarryII
Newly Registered

The good thing about shopping for plants in Home Depot is you could go home to research a plant and it doesn't matter if you can't find the answer because they'll be sold out anyway. There's a small chance it was a yucca but it was probably a dracaena.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Perhaps Dracena marginata and/or Dracena marginata tricolor?

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Hi BarryII,

If it had a braided trunk, it was most likely a dracaena. Dracaena is the family name and there are several different varieties. I think you're referring the thin leafed type.

This is a great plant for a container in the house or outside under a patio cover with absolutely no direct sun; it prefers direct light but not direct sun. Are you wanting to have one for indoors? I have seen them in different colors - the varigated green, red and cream color, and the solid green with a red edge. Height and color are not related. Both can grow from 2 feet to 20 ft depending upon conditions and environment.

Please note that cats love to chew on the leaves. I have experienced this with each cat I've owned and my friends have too.

BarryII
Newly Registered

I ended up buying a small Dracaena Marginata Bi-Color. It's one of my least favorite plants at this size, but I like that it cleans the air and I like the look when the stalk grows.

The stake says "Collect all 400 Exotic Angel varieties from around the globe. Yeah, right...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah, Angel Plants sells a lot to HD...

D. marginata is the best call for lower light situations; the far side of a bright room is just right for that plant. 'Bi-Color' might want a bit more light as it has a bit less chlorophyll... Needs less water than other Dracaenas too...

HG

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I have what I believe to be the same type of Dracaena. Their ability to go without water is beyond that of some succulents. a large one can easily go a month with no water (or it can if I remember right. I'm not sure, so don't try it).

BarryII
Newly Registered

The plant that looked like a Dracaena but didn't have marginated leaves might have been a Cordyline australis. I read that Cordyline australis are mislabeled sometimes.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”