mfedukovich

Unsure about repotting my shamrock plant

I received a shamrock plant (oxalis regnelli) as a gift around St. Patty's Day. I read about the care for it and found they usually go into a dormant period after blooming. And that after it blooms is the best time to repot if needed.

Mine has bloomed, the blooms have died off and now most days it looks sickly. I'm assuming its getting ready to go into its dormant period. But you know what they say about those who assume! :wink: (And I'd be lying if I said I've never been there!)

So anyway, my question's are should I divide and repot now or after the plant has died back? And if it goes dormant how should I care for it during that time? I've read to water very little and to not water at all until you see new growth. And finally where is the best place to keep it during its dormant period?

Thanks for any information! :D
M Fedukovich

pd

The south American O.regnelli will go into a form or dormancy after flowering and this is a good time to divide the rhizomatous roots. You don't have to wait until all foliage dies away.
Pot the divisions up into just moist compost and allow to dry out between re-moistening just sufficient that the root system does not dehydrate.
I would be keeping it in the light, albeit reduce beneath the glasshouse staging or tucked away in any cool corner of the conservatory, even a windowsill but don't let the pot be baked in direct sunshine.
Triangularis is a variety of O.regnelli and is a most attractive Oxalis having purple trianglular leaves; it makes a fine pot plant.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

pd has great advice but you mentioned it appears sickly. My experience with sickly potted plants is to bring them back to health before you try dividing and repotting. :shock:

How often are you watering? You might be watering it too much and this is the cause of it appearing sickly. Can you post a pic? :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Images are great...

HG

bali

I have oxalis Charmed wine and it grows like crazy , in sun or shade.
Mine drinks lots..

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Like most of it's genus...makes sense

HG

bali

But I like them..

mfedukovich

The sickly look it has is that when the clovers (leaves?) open up during the day they look kinda droopy and thin. Unless its the day I water then they look a little better. The stems are also really long so its not as bushy as it was while in bloom. I think I've read this is because of not enough light but where its at it gets a good amount of indirect light most of the day. That is as long as its sunny. Its been cloudy and raining for the past week. They are also starting to yellow and die one by one.

As for watering, I usually water once a week or so, whenever the soil gets dry. When it was given to me it was 3 plants in one 4 1/2 in pot (what it was in @ store). Since the pot is small when the top gets dry the bottom is pretty much dry too. This is how I've always watered and while blooming it did great. That's why I was wondering if it was going dormant.

Everyone here is so helpful, thank you! 8)
M Fedukovich

bali

Mine droops if too dry.
Try more water.

It does great in sun an part sun for me.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”