Eleanor
Newly Registered

Indoor Tomatoes_Help!

I have started growing 9 little Roma tomato plants indoors. They are between 2 and 4 inches tall and are divided in two long windowsill containers. When do I need to transplant them into their own containers? How big will their final container be? Help me please, I love my plants dearly and would hate to see them die just because they are over crowded!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I believe each plant will require a final container size of around 12 to 14 inches in diameter, at a minimum.

Right now, I think I would put each on in a pot that is 4 inches in diameter.

I've never attempted to grow tomatoes indoors, though. I don't have space to devote to the proper light setup. :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

When do the indoor tomatoes get to be outdoor tomatoes? Outdoors is part of the eqation here eventually, right?

HG

Eleanor
Newly Registered

I don't know?! Do they have to go outside? I live in a terribly cold (almost all year) climate, but I know that tomatoes CAN grow outdoors but they just have a super short season. I literally know little to nothing about growing anything. So, I suppose, if they absolutely MUST go outside in order for them to survive, well, I can do that. If this is my one little fantasy world where everything grows forever and tomatoes can live inside, well then I would like that even more.
You see, this project was motivated by a whim and now I can't let go of my tomato plants and I read (god only knows where) that one could potentially grow tomatoes indoors all year round. Is this false?

Eleanor
Newly Registered

By the way, thank you both very much for your helpful advice!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Your tomatoes can probably grow indoors, but they need a lot of light and warmth. Can you provide that in your home? :?:

Eleanor
Newly Registered

Yes, I can. For now it is sunny enough in the house but is the winter I can keep them in a green house. Well, this is wonderful news. Thanks again!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”