muhammadkashif
Newly Registered

Glass vase

I wanted to plant in transparent glass vase.The fancy transparent ones that you see with different shape and sizes in all stores.
So, these ordinary vase does not have a hole at the bottom for the water drainage.
I wanted to have some suggestion if there is a solution to that problem that will still let me use these containers.
My reason of using them is that soil color looks fancy thru them and then u can find them I all shaps and sizes.
and what kind of plants would be best to use in these containers.
How important it is to have a hole at the bottom of the container and is there a survival without it, when watering the plant.
:oops:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Plants need drainage. When you water a plant, the water needs to drain out through the bottom of the container.

Otherwise, the soil can become water-logged, an open invitation to undesireable fungi, insects, and diseases just waiting to attack your plants. Also, many plants will develop root rot or other fatal conditions if their roots remain too wet for too long.

If you like the appearance of the soils through the sides of the glass vase(s), what about a dried flower arrangement? You could use stones and soils which appeal to you, and the dried flowers/plants would balance the visual weight of the vase.

Is this a possibility?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It would help if you were willing to put a few inches of gravel in the bottom of your vase. It would let the water collect down there and the soil not stay so wet. You could also try planting things that like to stay damper, wetland plants. I'm assuming glass vases aren't very big, so you can't plant shrubs or big plants in them, but you could try marsh marigold, bergenia, anemone, columbine, ferns.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Perhaps you would like to create a plant Terrarium garden. This type of container gardening was quite popular in the 70's.

Using a fish bowl type glass container and layering gravel/pebbles, charcoal (which serve as drainage) and then soil at the bottom, it can house small, slow growing, low light plants. With this type of gardening, little water is used since there is no hole for drainage.

This may appeal to you since you would be able to see your entire garden through the glass. 8)

applestar
Mod

Like rainbowgardener said the solution is to put gravel in the bottom. Something like smaller aquarium gravel would be ideal because the soil won't get washed down. But with a taller vases, you could actually do a kind of "sand art" with a layer of larger gravel on the bottom, med, then small, OR use different colored gravel layers. The caveat here is that over time, the soil WILL wash down into the gravel layers and get "dirty". One way to minimize this is to lay a coffee filter, cut to size, on top of the gravel layer before adding soil.

When you water, WATCH CAREFULLY and make sure that the water that percolates to the bottom rises NO MORE THAN AT or BARELY ABOVE the top of the gravel layer.

Be sure to use a porous soil mix -- it should contain at least 1/4 to 1/3 vermiculite and/or perlite. I prefer ones that contain compost. Because there's no way for you to eliminate excess water, you'll need to be extremely careful about fertilizing. Less is more in this case. Another reason to go with compost or with ORGANIC fertilizers since salts in the chemical ones can build up (They also create a crusty mess along the soil line). Be sure to MOISTEN the soil mix before using it, especially if it contains dry peat or coir. You'll have no way of properly moistening dry soil mix after potting. Luke warm water. Fluff/Mix thoroughly and allow to absorb for 30 min ~ 1 hr. The mix should feel like squeezed out sponge, hold in your hand and the mix should form a ball, THEN CRUMBLE. Looks like pie dough just before you add ice water.

Small plants with short roots will have a hard time in a tall vase because the soil at the top will dry out while the soil in the bottom will remain soggy. I think a vining type of plant usually planted in hanging pots would look lovely in a tall vase. You could get a fairly well started one of those, carefully work all the roots loose, and plant in your vase while holding the plant suspended over the top. Fern or fern-like arching foliage plant might work too. Hanging succulents like Burro's tail might be fun too in a taller vase. While in a shorter container, African Violets and cacti might work (obviously cacti need to be watered less often. AV doesn't like soggy soil either.)

Other plants you might try are those that LIKE wet feet. Try the pond section of the garden center. They will have directions regarding how much wetness these plants prefer -- sometimes, water to just at soil level, sometimes 2" so ABOVE soil level, etc.

*** Pay attention to the ultimate/mature size of the plant *** Get your plants at an independent garden center/greenhouse and ASK "HOW BIG DOES THIS GET?" Also, your plant selection will depend on where you'll put them and how much sun/light exposure they'll get. ASK.

If you're thinking edibles use vases at least 4"~5" diameter and 6" deep soil + 1"~2" gravel, one per vase of salad greens like leaf lettuce/ arugula/spinach, carrots (shorter ones), bush beans, and herbs are likely candidates.

Another thing, over time, you'll find that algae will grow on the inside of the glass. You might have to resort to yearly repotting and scrubbing.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now. Good luck and have fun! :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You can drill glass with the right bit and patience...

Not inexpensive; tkes something harder than glass and there is only one thing I know of...

[url]https://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/MAIN.htm[/url]

HG

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”