newbyplantlover
Cool Member

styrofoam containers?

I stumbled across a great planter idea - styrofoam. I've got a cooler, and some portable bait containers now that are a great size to turn into a planter. The only thing is ... I'm not sure how to paint them. I know it's possible, but there might be a specific paint to use. :?: I bought a can of spray paint which actually is melting the styrofoam. :shock: No help there. Any paint ideas?

Also - I am needing to put tomatoes in containers and am wondering about using these for the containers. I know edible fruit plants you want to be more careful about what they're potted in. Is styrofoam safe? :?: Is painted styrofoam safe? :?: I try to eat organic produce, so it is important to me that I'm not inadvertently eating chemicals. Thanks guys!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Styrene (the primary ingredient, hence the name) has been shown to be toxic on several levels. The carcinogen potential is classified thusly by EPA;
there may be an association between styrene exposure and an increased risk of leukemia and lymphoma. However, the evidence is inconclusive due to confounding factors. EPA has not given a formal carcinogen classification to styrene.
[url]https://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/styrene.html[/url]

There is clear data that styrene is taken up by plants...

[url]https://www.janethull.com/newsletter/0908/dangerous_toxins_youve_eaten.php[/url]

All in all I think this is a very bad idea for food crops. Very bad... :evil:

I don't buy anything strofoam anymore as this stuff is a planetary bad deal...
HG

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Thanks Scott! Very helpful info, thanks.

Nicola0709
Newly Registered

if you are going to use the stryo boxes, then make sure they are food grade ones... (they are treated differently, apparently)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Most any paint will melt styrofoam. They print on them with inks similar to printers, never paint. Oil and Petroleum based paints will melt them the quickest.

butsiethesungo

This is some very good information and I'm thankful that you shared it. I had no idea about the toxins in styrofoam and will probably just toss everything out, since I don't want my plants infected. :cry:

Jeremy

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”