GardenLisa

Kerria in a Container?

I just got a Kerria japonica "Pela flora", and the only place I can put it is either in my herb garden which is full sun (about 15 - 18 hrs), or in a container in part sun (5 -7 hours) to diffused light. I'm hoping it'll grow in a container. Any thoughts?
Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't really know but I can say that I have one that I planted last year. It's in an afternoon sun only area and doesn't really get much sun til past 1PM. It's doing just fine and already has one blossom on it, even though for us here in Ohio, it's still pretty early in the season.

applestar
Mod

I just transplanted mine. Originally my SIL took cuttings and gave me a rooted cutting in a 6" pot. That was about 4 years ago. I planted it about 3 feet out and a little to the side of a SW window (PM sun) and it TOOK OFF!! I was chopping it down twice a year and it would grow to 4'~5'.... :shock:

This spring, I finally decided enough was enough and moved it by the fence in a semi-shaded location -- it'll get AM sun, noon shade, and filtered (30%) PM sun (I believe this is a "wooded edge" plant and doesn't need full sun.) I have to warn you, it had a HUGE root system -- I ruthlessly whacked them off to fit a 15" diameter root ball, which I know from experience is about the max size I can manage to haul on my own. It was also starting an offshoot about 8 inches away from the main clump.

I'm not entirely sure I've seen the last of it in its former location -- all those roots might be plotting to grow down there.... (If they do, I guess I'll end up with a hedgerow by the fence, although since I've become aware of importance of native plantings, I would not want to encourage the Japanese kerria too much....

I hope you're using a BIG container. :wink: I'm not sure that you'd want it in your herb garden -- it might take over.... :roll:

... :lol: I keep thinking of something else to add.... I use long flowering branches of kerria for making May Day flower crowns for my kids. Just twist/wind it into a wreath to fit and wire on flowers that the kids have picked to add to it. Set them up with the crowns in front of a riot of flowers for great spring photos. :D

GardenLisa

Applestar! I love the idea of the may wreaths! I think I'll have to wait a couple of years before that happens. I was thinking of putting it in a half barrel so I can poke some periwinkle around the edges, and maybe a few contrasting color bulbs for spring...

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”