BlueBerryGarden

Okay, I need some advice!

Just yesterday I planted several different kinds of vegetables and flowers. I read somewhere online that you can buy a cake holder (the kind with the foil bottom and clear lid) and use small cups to start your plants in. Then leave them outside to germinate. (I'm here in Florida and they get VERY warm when the sun hits.) Please let me know if this is correctly done. I planted them in small clear plastic cups, added the soil and the seeds and watered them generously.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Most seeds like to germinate between 60 degrees and about 75 degrees. That covered cake holder could get well over 100 degrees out in the direct sun. Place the container in a location that is about 70 degrees and the moist environment in the enclosed seed starter should be about perfect. As soon as the seedlings are up, remove the cover and place the plants outside were they get full sun, if you are planting sun loving plants like tomatoes and bell peppers.

You didn't say, but I assume that you put drainage holes in the plastic cups.

BlueBerryGarden

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'll remove the cover. And yes I did add holes to the bottom of the cups. I'm growing, carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, and a few different flowers.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

What do you think Alex? Does BBG need the roasting pan in FL? I kind of think not...sounds like a trick for us cold clime types (ugly, windy rainy 40's today; not to complain though, hang in there, you Dakotans!

HG

Venomous_1
Cool Member

Does BBG need the roasting pan in FL?

Well, I would say that's it's not necessary....EXCEPT...that even in FL you want those FRESH veggies ASAP. So go for it. The sooner you start them and get them in the ground, the sooner you can enjoy them.

Now I would say that beans and carrots I would not start in containers, those are best direcly sowed. I would think that transplanting those would be a hassle.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd say beans yes, carrots no. They're going to need spacing anyway; easier to do from seedling trays than sorting them in the bed...

The roasting pan could be a with pebbles and water in FL, I think; I suspect that roasting pan might just roast things on a bright day...

HG

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”