k9paws

Weather Question

I have received my tomatoe, pepper and herb plants that I order and it says they should be planted within 10 days or sooner. Problem is I just checked the 10 day forecast and it is calling for temps being 27 this coming Monday night. That should be the last cold night until the fall. Can I plant now and just cover them up on Monday, or should I wait? If I need to wait what is the best way to keep the plants healthy until I can plant?
I do live in East Texas so the wether should not be an issue after Good Friday.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If you have concern, just step the plants up to a larger container, within ten days to two weeks, the new containers should be filled with roots. That is always my strategy, when the plants are in tiny containers and they can't go in the ground right away. The plants get put in larger containers, placed outside in direct sunlight on warm days, and moved in at night until the weather settles. I never place heat loving plants in cold soil and try to cover them on cold days/nights. The plants will slow down, perhaps suffer shock, and take weeks to get back on track. Though many people try that strategy, I don't consider it to be a good way to get a jump on the season. Better to have those plants grow rapidly in the warm soil of an adequately sized container, than to shut them down by placing the plants in cold soil.

k9paws

Thanks Hendi,
I'll give your suggestion a try, only problem will be having limited space to bring the plants inside if needed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

agree with Alex... 27 is below freezing, you could easily kill your tomatoes and peppers, which are warm weather plants. They can survive in pots a lot better than getting frozen.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”