FlSunshine
Newly Registered

Very new and clueless :)

Hi. I have decided to start a vegetable container garden. I have the 5 gallon containers and the seeds (tomato, cucumber, beans, squash, lettuce, radish, carrots) I was wondering if I can just plant the seeds in the 5 gal container or do I have to start them in a smaller container and then transplant them?
Also (another brilliant question :oops: ) How many seeds can I plant in each container? Thank you for any help!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's the first page of the Container Gardening threads here at The Helpful Gardener:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

(There are several pages of threads, many of them begun by newcomers to container gardening, or to gardening of any kind. :) )

Some threads deal with specific plants (e.g., tomatoes), and others are more general. Many are from only a week or two ago. There are also many threads relevant to container gardening in the Tomatoes Forum and the Organic Gardening Forum. Please use the "Search" function at the top left of each page to help you find useful threads in those forums.

I also have read and definitely recommend The Bountiful Container, by Rose Marie Nichols McGee & Maggie Stuckey. It will take you from beginner to harvester, letting you know which veggies/herbs/fruits are suited to container gardening and which are probably not (given the limited space in containers *and* the limited harvest of these plants).

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”