bonjpen
Newly Registered

Peace Lilly Has NO leaves, just STALKS

SORRY THIS IS A LITTLE LONG :oops:
I have a peace lilly my husband gave me. He called it a closet plant...is that the same thing????
I've had it for 2years or so & usually kept in kitchen or den. It's never done that great and never had blooms. I re-potted it couple of times & several NEW sprouts have come up but none have done very well.
Finally last year it went too long with no water and all the leaves fell off. All that's left is 3 or 4 STALKS but no leaves. One stalk is like 2 feet tall. The stalks are alive becauce I've cut the tips off and they're green inside. How can I make them grow leaves?? A new little sprout came up couple months ago with a little leaf on it so I know the roots must be ok. My question is what do I do with the long stalks??? Do I cut them way back?? Can new leaves come from the "sides" of the stalk, or just from the top?? :?: LOOK AT THE PICTURE...IT'S REALLY SAD :cry:
PS. Ignore the dying red flower...I just stuck it there for a couple days
[img]https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/bonjpen/ivy.jpg[/img]

L
Newly Registered

Sorry I can't identify your plant but I don't think that it's a peace lily, the peace lillies I have seen have much thinner stalks for their flowers. There is a pic of a peace lilly here:

https://www.flowers.org.uk/plants/facts/s-z/spathiphyllum.htm

Hope this helps :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Without leaves the ID is hard, but I think a Dracaena of some sort... certainly not peace lily...

Whack it back to a height you like; root the other piece in water or moist sand, (or just stick it back in the pot as this species roots readily...) repot in a moist but free draining soil, (and more than it has now; probably why it dropped leaves). Keep it out of the closet, but in more shade and water it once in a while, and it should pop back fine...

HG

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

It's definitely not a peace lily... I believe it is a 'dumb cane' which is from the philodendron family.

It will grow from what you have but after a long time. The 'dumb cane' is a tropical type plant so keep indoors in bright light (not direct sun) or if you must have it outside it should be in shade.

You can cut the stocks/stems down to 3 to 6" if you prefer. Keep the soil moist to semi dry. If this is the original pot and soil repot with new soil and a smaller pot depending upon the root system.

Hope this helps. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can cut those stalks into 3 1/2- to 4-inch sections, making each cut halfway between two of the nodes. Lay the sections aside for a couple of days in a warm, dry place, so that the cut ends dry and callous over. Then lay them on their sides in moist sand, buried about halfway. Keep them away from direct light for a few weeks, and they'll sprout new roots and tops for you. The original plant will sprout new tops, as well, and you'll have more of those plants than you'll be able to find homes for. (I know, because I've done it. When I was just getting into gardening, I couldn't bear to throw anything away. :roll: :lol: )

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”