bonjpen
Newly Registered

Sum-1 Please help my poor plants.

I can't seem to grow anything :( My Geraniums and Marigolds aren't blooming anymore, and I just bought them three weeks ago. We had a few cold days (not freezing)right after I got them but I brought the geraniums in at night.
Marigolds are in a flower bed and of the two I planted one is looking pretty miserable, the blooms wilted and fell off and no more came open.
I also got two Ranunculus plants. They were so pretty but the heavy rain just before the cold beat them up pretty bad and broke some of the stems. They're still hanging there bent over and the bloom wilted. Today I pulled the dead bloom off but should I cut the stem too???

I don't know what to do with any of them...Ive tried M-Grow and Osmocote.
[img]https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/bonjpen/Marigold.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/bonjpen/geraniums.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/bonjpen/rannis.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know much about gardening in TX, but to start with, cut all the dead flowers off and quit fertilizing until things recover. Then let us know what kind of sun exposure they are getting. Marigolds for example like full sun and they are looking pretty shaded in the picture. Maybe some of the south western gardeners around the forum can contribute more.

Timlin

I don't know much about Texas either but all those plants are very cold sensitive and you maybe planted too early (or a cold snap snuck up on you unexpectedly) They all look like they took a wee nip of frost......I hope by now they have recovered and all's well but if not you might have to replace them and then watch the weather carefully so you can run out and cover them with towels or tableclothes or sheets to keep the frost away from them next time.

L
Newly Registered

Ranunculus - are not easy to grow outside, much safe in a glass house. Wet and windy weather will damage the flowers badly and when it is hot and dry the foliage will be damaged, turn yellow earlier than in good weather and will restrict the ability of the plant to flower. It is a Biennial and grows from tubers. It may come up again next year but if there is bad weather it won't so it is worth looking at these as an annual. You can cut the flower stalks down (as they can be used as cut flowers without damaging the plant) If you are luck you may get more buds that have not been weather affected. (They like the sun but don't mund partial shade.

Marigolds - are only half hardy and bad weather can damage a plant but dead head it well and this will leave the remaining energy (if the plant isn't beyond repair!) to focus on new growth and not waste it supporting damaged foliage, flowers and buds.

Hope this helps :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

All good advice!

HG

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

bonjpen,

Your geranium looks OK as far as blooming but I do see a bit of brown on one of the leaves.

I know it gets quite hot there in Texas but I think you might be overwatering... :cry:

How is everything doing now?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”