xtrace

Where to get free soil

Yes, composting is a lot of work for me. I am gardening to save money and
it is a lot healthier. The soil I buy at the store is not that good and it is very
expensive. I got 3 small containers filled and it cost me over 4 dollars. That
doesn,t seem cheap to me. I want to learn how to make my own soil or get
it from somewhere free.

applestar
Mod

Two ideas to get you started :wink:

1. No work compost >> find a leaf pile - rake away the leaves and you'll find some really nice soil underneath (It's also called leaf mould/mold. Some say oak leaves are best, others say maple. Don't use Black Walnut). This fall, make your own leaf pile in a fenced area (any kind from snow/sand fence/birdnetting ~ heavyduty), have some kids jump in the leaves if you can... or jump in them yourself :-() , lay branches on top to keep the leaves from blowing away. By spring, you can repeat the process. If you like, toss in weeds (no seedheads) with the leaves when you make the pile.

2. Start a simple DYI Red Wriggler worm bin (any number of instructions available with a simple internet search) with kitchen scraps and shredded newspaper. Mix resulting worm casting compost with used potting soil and sand (rinse well to remove salt if using beach sand -- please no comment on legal issues -- I'm just warning about salty sand). 8)

hay

I make lots of leaf mold compost. rake leaves and yard clippings and mix in aged cow or horse or chiken manure, if you can get it, or add a liberal amount of blood meal and bone meal and wetten the pile and pack tightly into large containers like old garbage cans with lots of drain holes in the bottom and periodically add water and let it rot for a year or more and you will have very rich compost for planting. adding kitchen waste vegetables and coffee grounds ( NO MEATS or meat scraps) will also add to the compost. a handfull of worms will help as they will breakdown the leaves faster. for organic compost, DO NOT USE commercial fertilizers! turn the whold pile once or twice a year and repack tightly will help breakdown also. it's not easy work, but it will payoff in richer soil. good luck

LJ0913

I would suggest to visit horse stables in your area if possible. There's a few in my area that offers compost for free.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

the basic idea is to make your own via composting as the replies suggested. In the meantime while you are waiting for that to happen, check freecycle, craigslist or just google free topsoil. Lots of time, people who are building something have to remove the topsoil and they give it away. It may not be very enriched stuff, but you can always add amendments to it, leaves, manure, etc...

Rue Barbie

I know this is a very old thread, but let Craig's list be your friend.

I've gotten not only free yard soil via them, but also got access to the used potting mix from a local 'ethical' wholesale nursery. They just give the stuff away to get rid of it rather than taking it to the dump. I've filled numerous 15 gallon containers (also from Craig's list) and have suffered no diseases, weeds, or anything bad from it.

janecarter
Newly Registered

I once tried free soil but I wasn’t very happy with its quality. I live in Germany, so I ordered some soil and it is of good quality and my plants seem to like it.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”