tn_veggie_gardner

Good trick, Greenhorn! Thanks for the info. I'll probably do that when I test out my Topsy Turvey this year. I have like 20-25 2 liter bottles I've been saving for various gardening uses like this & for propagation.

GardenJester

hmmm... I wonder if you have to deep bury the seedling also like you do when planting it regularly?

Greenhorn

GardenJester wrote:hmmm... I wonder if you have to deep bury the seedling also like you do when planting it regularly?
I suspect in theory it would be better to bury the plant deeper, however I generally think it would be harder because you probably have to hold the root ball and work some dirt around it carefully without damaging the vine. It would probably be a little difficult to do. it's also best to work with a seedling that's fairly mature; like about 24 inches tall; this way the plant will be able to quickly bend and grow up toward the light. If you try this with a plant that is too small the growth has a tendency to be slower in the shade and the plant keeps on trying to grow back into the pot.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

To mee it seems like tomatoe torturing. I prefer to grow them upright, even if in the containers.

jamie70
Newly Registered

:clap: I have had my tt going since the first of april and I have to say I was very impressed with it. I purchased for around 10 bucks and used the soil it said to use and a good sturdy plant. it has about 7 tomatos on it right now. I would post a pic if I could figure out how to do it!
[img]https://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4486/dsc00111u.jpg[/img]

ok it wasn't supposed to be sideways but I will figure it out

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I hate to tell you this but those are supposed to hang upside down. Not on there side like that. :lol: :P

jamie70
Newly Registered

yeah but gravity is different at my house...j/k :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I see that. :lol:

They do look pretty healthy. It is hard to tell unless I put my monitor on it's side.

Good luck

stazzy04
Newly Registered

I actually just planted mine today. My boyfriend bought it for me for my birthday because he knows how much I love to garden.

But last year, both my grandmother and my mother had one, so here is a review on how theirs did.

From what I heard, my grandmother's did okay. Her biggest problem was the wind. She said they do better when you have them hung up by a wall or something to help protect them, because the wind would swing the container and damage the plant.

And my mother's did fairly well until she got lazy with watering it. Then her tomatoes began getting pretty small, although they did continue to grow. She did somehow manage to get a weed inside the top of the container. Not quite sure how that happened. Lol.

Good luck!

supagirl277

Holy cow! How big do tomato plants usually grow? There's no way mine would get 6 ft high! I have tt planter too so I'm looking forward to seeing it's results.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”