Alex6015

Potted Ixia and Freesia bulbs.

Hi. Can someone please give me tips about growing potted Ixias and Freesias and in general bulb plants? If they regenerate ,what conditions are good for them etc. Later ill start planting in the garden.
Soil: Natural,unfertilzed soil from where the moles dug out.
Plants growing in it are very healthy.We have grown
vegetables,flowers trees etc.
Climate: For now I'm potting the plants but... Enough rain and medium
temperatures(winters are cold and there is snow and summers
are hot).
Place:Countryside hill with a lake nearby.
Last edited by Alex6015 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Alex6015

I took natural soil from where the moles dug out the galleries .How long does it take the bulbs of Freesias and Ixias to sprout?

Grey
Greener Thumb

*bump*

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Alex6015 has added more specific information, so those of you with experience growing bulbs in containers--any ideas?

Thx!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Well, both are considered "tender annuals" in my zone, where winter temps can go below 20F. Most bulbs take between 3-6 weeks to send up leaves, flowering sometime thereafter if they're strong enough. Both Ixia and Freesia are warm-climate bulbs, meaning they like to be warm, but not baked hot. Keep the soil evenly moist but not wet (kind of like a wrung-out sponge) until you see the shoots, then after the flowers start to die, cut them off (deadheading) and give a weak fertiliser solution once a week until the foliage starts to yellow, then just water occasionally. Once the foliage has died back, only water sparingly, as the bulbs will store food and rest for the next year.

That's general bulb culture, but applies to yours, as well. Sorry I can't convert from Fahrenheit to Centigrade--not good w/math. If your bulbs have full sun exposure and the foliage is showing signs of sunburn, you may wish to provide some sort of shade for the hottest part of the day. Hope this helps.

Alex6015

Ty wing. :wink: My bulbs sprouted in only 5-6 days.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”