Starlurk
Newly Registered

Using candle jars as a flower pot?

My last thread seemed to have gotten deleted and I'm going to guess it was because my title was misleading o_o.

Anyway, I'm a total newbie to gardening. Someone suggested I recycle my glass candle jars and use them to hold plants in. I know there are no holes in these jars to let water drain so I was wondering if they would be bad for growing plants in.

If they would be okay, what kind of small plants would be okay to plant in them?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Starlurk,

When I look for containers the very first thing I check for is the presence of at least one good sized drainage hole. In my opinion this is not optional.

Sometimes plants in inexpensive pots (with holes) are placed in decorative ceramic pots (without holes) but they should always be removed from the outer pot when watering, let the water drain before replacing the inner pot.

Some plants will do well in a terrarium type situation but the jars you have are probably pretty small for that application. So the short answer is no, these jars are not something I would generally plant in.

If they are decorative and you wish to keep them consider my second paragraph.

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the mix up regarding your previous thread.

Norm

Starlurk
Newly Registered

No worries! I appreciate just being told. :3

No no, using the candle holders wasn't entirely necessary, just thought it'd be cute. Thank you for welcoming me to the board! :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”