sandywong929

Ness Fantasy Gold - as if mine has just never grown...

I am a novice in gardening and this is my first time growing African violet. I bought a Ness Fantasy Gold in October last year. I trim dead leaves once a while, and fertilize it 1-2 times each month. I also put it near a window that is facing south with other plants.

While my other African violet has been growing beautifully, somehow my Ness Fantasy Gold just seems have never grown at all… I keep taking photos of it, and it just looks the same now as it was 4 months ago. Does anyone know what is going wrong? Would someone please give me some suggestions as to what I can do here? Thanks a lot!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Could we see some of the photos you've taken? That might help us identify a problem with the plant.

(One thing I would do is to start a new plant from a leaf. That way, you'll still have a plant if your original one doesn't succeed. :) )

sandywong929

Hi Kisal,

Here are the photos of my Fantasy Gold.
Taken on Dec 1, 08 - https://gardeningoncloud9.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/FantasyGold01.JPG
Taken on Feb 15, 09 https://gardeningoncloud9.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/FantasyGold02.JPG

applestar
Mod

You've obviously repotted. It's possible your plant is just trying to recover and also to grow into the new root space. In my experience, African Violets do better slightly pot bound, and I think this one would've been fine in the original pot. :) Also, do these pots have adequate drainage? AV's are notoriously susceptible to root rot if left in too soggy soil for too long. They're better off in a well-drained pot and when the surface of the soil is allowed to dry between watering. I'm not positive, but these leaves look a little stressed. I would question the lighting situation, but you said your other AV's are doing fine, so I'm not sure what to make of that. Tending to go back to the roots as the main source of your problem. Oh wait! Fertilize 2x /mo? That seems a lot, I hope you're using a diluted mixture like 1/4 strength. I actually only fertilize a month or two after the flowers are over, letting the plant rest in between.
Hope that helps. :wink:

thebean

Thay plant looks severly overwatered. the light color of the leaves gives it away. They should be a much darker green. The plant it self looks very young also. I would leave it alone for quite some time and hope thay it can recover. No water no fert at least until the soil almost completely dries out. Then water a little at a time until new growth starts. It can recover I had one that was worse off then this and it is doing fine now. Patience is key here. Good luck keep us posted

sandywong929

Applestar and Thebean, Thank you very much for your advices. I will water my plant less frequently and see how it will do :)

Cheers!

Grey
Greener Thumb

I have one thing to add - African Violets don't care for a lot of sun, so a south or west window tends to not work well for them. A north or east-facing window does far better.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”