noqgardener

broccili and cauliflower

Will they do well in containers?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've never tried, but these plants have pretty big root systems, so would be surprised if they would like the confines of a container, unless it is a very large one. There are dwarf varieties available, and IMO they would be worth a try. Here is a link to one dwarf variety of broccoli.

[url]https://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=5059[/url]
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

applestar
Mod

I think I read somewhere that then can be grown 1 to each 12" pot, or maybe it was one to each 5 gal bucket (with drainage holes). So I guess the answer is "not impossible" but provide lots of room. I imagine there are varieties that are more suited to container culture. You might also look for smaller headed varieties.

Rob
Cool Member

I tried broccoli in 5 gallon buckets last year and only got very small heads on them.

HOWEVER, last year we went from a cold winter to a HOT summer in (what seemed like) a week. I live in middle Arizona. Also, I have to admit, I didn't pay much attention to the broccoli at all.

This year I have about 6 plants in 5 gallon buckets, and am going to try to nurture them significantly more, and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.
What happens in the event horizon, stays in the event horizon.

Rob
Cool Member

Another quick note:

I'm going to go relatively heavy on fertilizer this year. A 15-15-15 mix. I didn't fertilize at all last year.
I'm also going to add a nice inch of mulch to try to keep the roots cool this year. I really think the sudden high heat is what sabotaged my efforts last year.
What happens in the event horizon, stays in the event horizon.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”