sandywong929

Crystal Soil

Is crystal soil something common in the western countries (eg: US, UK, Australia, etc)?

It is a medium common in Hong Kong and have been around for a while. And it is so pretty that I like to use it for my small plants. But when I did a google search, the search result gave me the impression that crystal soil isn't commonly used in other countries. Is that true? Or did I get the wrong impression.

webmaster
Site Admin

Maybe it's called something else in Western countries. What does it look like?

sandywong929

Crystal soil is little water absorbent polymer beads. And these beads grow really big when we put them in water for a few hours. Then, instead of soil, we can use these jelly beans for our houseplants. dirt free and pretty :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Here is a link to a business in the U.S. that sells a gardening product called crystal soil.

https://www.liroots.com/StoreModules/ProductsList.aspx/BranchID=3$DepartmentID=11

applestar
Mod

Sounds like the stuff used as small addition (I'm thinking like a tablespoon per 1" of container diameter or something like that) to container potting soil. The granules are supposed to absorb water then slowly release them back into the soil, so that the soil doesn't dry out as quickly. I've used it in hanging pots this way with good results. I've never heard of using the product on its own -- would that result in CONSTANTLY moist soil -- I.e. too much for some plants?

Hmm... I seem to remember that there IS a caveat. If the soil is allowed to dry out completely past a certain point, these granules can actually SUCK the last remaining/available moisture out of the soil, competing with (and drying out) the roots. Is that true? :?:

sandywong929

Hmm... I seem to remember that there IS a caveat. If the soil is allowed to dry out completely past a certain point, these granules can actually SUCK the last remaining/available moisture out of the soil, competing with (and drying out) the roots. Is that true?
I think that could be true for these beads are so water absorbent. But I have no problem using them alone without soil. I treat it like how I plant in water - hydroculture. My plants, like bamboo and pothos, are doing fine with the beads alone :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This is just another application of the super absorbent polymer technology. The materials are found in anything from baby diapers, to tampons, to those rubber toys that grow very large in water.

sandywong929

It is a common medium here in Hong Kong since long ago. I remember I saw my mother using it when I was a kid (20+ yrs ago). I am just wondering whether or not people in other countries use it. Since I don't see much talk about it online, but mainly manufacturers in China, I have an impression that it is not something common in other places.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It is a pretty common soil additive for potted plants here in the U.S. and is marketed as such. I have never heard of anyone using it as a 100% planting median, but that is obviously the intent for the product found at the link in my first post.

sandywong929

I see. Thanks for your information! :D

dionaelover

That's interesting! Thanks for the info. I may use it in my carnivores' media this year- they like it wet, wet, wet! :lol:

UTsports

Hi Sandy. Is the crystal soil you are speaking off pictured on your link www.gardeningoncloud9.com ? I scrolled down and saw a picture under the title of, "watering plants in crystal soil". I believe this may be different than the product some others are thinking of. These crystals arent very common in the U.S. that I know of, though I do believe I have seen them somehwere before.

sandywong929

Hi UTsports. Do you mean that some others here are talking about another product different from the one I talked about in this post - Using Crystal Soil as Soil Additive ( https://www.gardeningoncloud9.com/200902/crystal-soil-additive/ )? What kind of product do you think some others are referring to? Thank you for trying to clarify this with me. Really appreciate it :)

UTsports

My mistake sandy, I hadn't seen the particular post you mentioned above. Turns out, I'm the one who was confused, lol. In the picture I saw here (www.gardeningoncloud9.com) I thought the crystals looked blue, which reminded me of something I had seen in one of my mother's clear flower pot a couple years ago. Seems like the blue crystals were floating on top and there was a fish swimming arround underneath, it was very interesting. They fed the fish those cylindrical pellet foods through a straw!

sandywong929

Oh, I see. It's confusing sometimes when all these products have different names, colors, shapes, etc, isn't it? :)

And, the blue floating crystal that you just described has made me all curious now! LOL

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”