ladyloki
Newly Registered

Peace Lily help

Greetings!

I just inherited two very sickly peace lilies from the management of my apartments. What had happened was they let them freeze, basically. I had read up on numerous sites before having them delivered to my place, saying that they could be revived, but after taking a good look at them after pruning off all the dead leaves, I'm a little worried.

These plants where huge, and are both sitting in 10 gallon pots, appearing to have been recently transplanted, and a very bad job at that. Half the root cluster was sticking out, and definately not near enough soil added. But I did probe a little, and there appears to be some healthy roots in the middle. One of the plants, I had to pull out the majority of the plant clusters because they where rotted away, and the other one looks like the clusters are on their way out. I did add new soil to cover the rest, and have no watered them, since the soil was already moist (not drenched) from someone else attempting to save them.

I don't know if I should just let it be and have it do it's own thing, or should I pull out all the clusters? I have never grown peace lilies before, so I'm not too sure how to go about this. I'm not familiar with how the rooting system is, whether or not new shoots will take the place of the old ones, or if I have to make room for new shoots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. These plants where gorgeous before someone decided to not turn the heat on in the buildings foyer. Unfortunately, it took two weeks for me to be able to convince them to let me have them (the pots are extremely heavy, and needed some man muscles to help me move them, and I didn't want to get in trouble for "stealing" their plants....management is horrid). I do want these beauties to come back, I just don't know what to do to encourage new growth.

Rikesh

Peace lilies are quite hardy. I'm sure you can make it thrive again.
Remove them and repot them. You'll be sure they would be in their optimum comfort :)
Keep it out of direct sunlight too.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”