Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Haesuse wrote:edit ps:
anything in public view on your property, anyone, and everyone, has the right to examine. your privacy is only protected in private places.
IMO, passersby are free to "look" all they want at things in my yard or on my porch. However, unless they are people I know, or whom I have invited to enter my yard, then the instant they step off the public sidewalk and onto my property, they become trespassers. I have a very low tolerance level for trespassers. :x

Haesuse

Kisal wrote:IMO, passersby are free to "look" all they want at things in my yard or on my porch. However, unless they are people I know, or whom I have invited to enter my yard, then the instant they step off the public sidewalk and onto my property, they become trespassers. I have a very low tolerance level for trespassers. :x
not to intentionally be a pain, but, that's not true at all. unless you have a no trespassing sign, then it only becomes illegal if it is done repeatedly after warnings. jehovah's witnesses, vacuum salesmen, random neighbors wanting an egg, me asking about your pots, all have 100% legal right to walk right on up and start any conversation wanted.

until you say otherwise, or put a sign up.

them's the laws all across the USA.

Haesuse

didn't want to offend anyone. sorry.

I'm just glad that my neighbors aren't of your mindsets...

we all wave at each other as we drive by, and have block parties, and have regular beat cops who look out for us, and everyone kinda gets along. a nice blend of middle aged professionals, young up-and-comers, affluent folk, families and college kids renting out houses. in an urban area... and people borrow eggs, and share, and are generally friendly to all who'll accept it...

I like it that way. I'd be miserable in a neighborhood where my neighbors were inherently suspicious of all neighbors they weren't tight with, and who would treat all newcomers as trespassers, or who would have an emotional outburst on such people.

god bless the south, I suppose.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Haesuse wrote:not to intentionally be a pain, but, that's not true at all. unless you have a no trespassing sign, then it only becomes illegal if it is done repeatedly after warnings. jehovah's witnesses, vacuum salesmen, random neighbors wanting an egg, me asking about your pots, all have 100% legal right to walk right on up and start any conversation wanted.

until you say otherwise, or put a sign up.

them's the laws all across the USA.
Apparently the laws are different where I live, then. :lol:

In my city, people are not allowed to go door to door soliciting stuff, unless they have a permit. I haven't even seen a Girl Scout selling cookies around here. Anyone, even just someone asking for directions, who doesn't immediately leave my property when told to do so is guilty of trespass, and will be arrested if they're dumb enough to hang around until the cops arrive. If I so choose, I can even have someone arrested for standing too long on the public sidewalk, peering at my home. Here, that behavior is known as "loitering."

And yes ... I do have signs up. ;)

crobi13

Also try www.craigslist.org they have an entire section devoted to free items. You never know what will pop up. :D

wolfie

After reading thru this post, I checked my local free cycle and there was actually a post about someone giving away a bunch of pots and such so sure enough, I picked them up WHOOOO HOOOOO

Enthusiast
Newly Registered

Hi can’t help but say “hey people keep it friendly”... to call someone jaded because they disagree with a suggestion to ring someone’s doorbell and ask for their stuff is pretty far out but then so is coveting someone’s property in the first place. No need to take it to an ugly place. No one’s here to read your petty name calling. THAT said...some really great ideas. Love and appreciate the sharing. I’m really happy to have found this group.

imafan26
Mod

You can always reuse coffee cans and cups to repurpose. There are a few warehouses that you can get pallets for free. They are going to throw them away anyway. Most of the times pallets are not made from treated wood. They can be taken apart and rebuilt to make planters. I find when large rubbermaid and storage totes are on sale, they make good planters. They don't last long but they are good for about 3 years if they aren't handled much.

Ice houses, restaurants, and fish markets are good places to get styrofoam coolers. They make good planters and are easy to make holes in.

I do buy buckets from restaurants that hold anything from 3-5 gallons. I can usually get them for less than $2. They can be made into SIPS, or I use them for storing tools or fertilizer (If they have tight lids), and I use some of them for weed buckets. carrying rainwater or mixing fungicide or fertilizer, and sometimes I use them to sit on or as a step stool.

I belong to two orchid clubs and volunteer at 2 gardens and sometimes people donate pots and we just leave them out for people to take for free. They are mostly concrete and terra cotta pots. The garden can't use that many of them and they are hard to store and people will usually give them to us by the hundreds.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”